Thursday, September 08, 2022

Thursday Thirteen

For Thursday Thirteen today, we're visiting the Botetourt History Museum, which has a new location in the county seat.

The former location, one of the oldest buildings in town, is being moved about 50 feet from its present location to make way for a new county courthouse. The old one is scheduled to be torn down in the next year and a new one constructed.

Anyway, here are some photos from the Museum, which is now located about a block from where it used to be, and is on Main Street.

The photos, which I took from my iPhone, loaded backwards in the blog. I have no idea why.



An old switchboard from way back.

A mortar and pestle used by First Nations Settlers (Native Americans)


A stand of antique stuff. I didn't pay that close attention to what was on it.

I think, but am not sure, that this is a spindle or yarn doohickey.


This is a Chickering piano. See the captioned piece above for its history.

This small book was in an enclosed case. It's dated 1857. Just note what it says.

This is a picture of Grove Hill, owned by the Breckinridges. This large plantation once took most of the land in the area of Catawba Creek outside of Fincastle. The home burned down in 1909. Some of the bricks were hauled to New York and used in a home there.

To Have and To Hold was written by Buchanan native Mary Johnston. It was the best-selling book in 1900. It was made into a movie.

A book presser, used in book binding.

Antique tea set.

The desk from the law office of James Breckinridge.

A bad picture of an article from about 40 years ago that shows the former Museum location.

The Botetourt County Historic Society has a number of books available, both for sale and for research, if you want to sit and review them.

This was on a mantle in the main entry room; I liked the picture. Fincastle does have a Lewis and Clark connection; William Clark's wife, Judith Hancock, was raised down the road in the plantation known as Santillane.

The exterior of the new location of the museum.


___________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 772nd time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I love visiting historical societies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like our Old Church Gallery cultural art museum. That tea set looks inviting and the desk puts mine to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, did I touch something so my comment went through before I was ready. Sorry! Let me see I was talking about how much I like the painting. I like that lighting and the richness of colors. That religious instructional book got me wondering if today’s missionaries who go to 3rd world locales are given something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I want that book presser. I don't know why, but I do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.