Saturday, September 17, 2022

Saturday 9: In and Out of Love


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Diana Ross is disappointed that she hasn't yet found lasting love. Do you think you can fall out of love? Or do you believe that if you fell out of love, it wasn't true love to begin with?

A. I think there are many different types of love, even within a single relationship. Sometimes love waxes and wanes, and sometimes if burns bright. If someone "falls out of love," perhaps it wasn't true love, but it was a kind of love, all the same. Or so I would hope.

2) When is the last time you literally fell, tripped, or stumbled?

A. Probably today only I don't remember it. I always have bruises on my arms and don't know where they came from.
 
3) This record was a hit with American Bandstand viewers. For weeks it was voted the song they most wanted to dance to. Did you watch American Bandstand?

A. I did.
 
4) This is one of the last Supremes songs that featured the most successful hit-making line-up: Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, and Florence Ballard. Florence's great-nephew, Christian Ballard, was a football star at University of Iowa and briefly played pro ball for the Vikings. The 2022-23 NFL season just kicked off. What team do you root for?

A. None, really. I used to root for the Greenbay Packers, way back when The Refrigerator was playing (wasn't that like, the 1980s?). But I haven't watched a NFL football game in 20 years.
 
5) Mary had a connection to sports, too. She donated her time and talent to raising money for Figure Skaters of Harlem, an organization that helps young people train for the Winter Olympics. Tell us about a charity you support.

A. I most recently gave money to Artemis Journal. The journal is a lovely creation of poetry and artwork. Proceeds from the sale of it go to victims of domestic violence. The nonprofit organization also partners with Taubman Museum to support the arts.

6) There's a children's playground in New York's Central Park named for the last surviving member of this trio, Diana Ross. It has swings, slides, a rope bridge, and a fountain that kids are welcome to splash in. If you were suddenly little again, which would you play on first?

A. The swings, I guess.
 
7) Diana owns an estate in Greenwich, CT, with lush gardens, a tennis court, and a pool. While the grounds are spectacular, she maintains the house itself is "nothing special" because the kitchen hasn't been renovated in more than three decades. Could your kitchen benefit from a makeover? Or are you fine with it as it is?

A. My kitchen is 35 years old, so it could do with a little makeover. If I were to redo it, I would get cabinets of lighter wood. The ones in it are oak and they are dark. The older I get, the more I crave the light.
 
8) In 1967, when this song was popular, the best-selling camera was The Polaroid Swinger. When did you most recently take a photo? What was it of?

A. I took a picture of a picture. It's a black and white photo of the corner of US 220 and Main Street in Fincastle, before US 220 was ever built, circa 1910 or so. After this old mill was removed, my husband's grandfather built a store on this corner. That building still stands.



9) Random question: Come clean! Are there dirty dishes in your sink right now?

A. No. Generally, I do not leave dishes in the sink.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

7 comments:

  1. Love your pic of a pic. It came out well and what a story! I too have bruises on my calf and wonder what I did. I truly don't remember. I don't follow football at all but I know that if you rooted for Green Bay, you were cheering against William The Refrigerator Perry. He was a Bears legend. But you're right, he's vintage 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth about wanting the light as we get older. I find I am the same way about wanting everything clean and streamlined. Clutter is bothering me more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #8 Neat! Near my house is the ruins of an old water mill factory. From Wikipedia,
    The Simeon North Factory Site is a historic archaeological site in Berlin, Connecticut. It encompasses the remnants of an early gun factory of the pioneering manufacturer Simeon North. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
    ...and played an important role in the development of interchangeable parts manufacturing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh--I'm with you on craving more light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the light. We have dark floors and cabinets in our kitchen. Things cost too much to get it done now, but I am still hoping to get my cabinets painted white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that picture of a picture and the history behind it. I hear you on the light craving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the jungle gyms but the boys always looked up our dresses.
    And I purposely chose light wood ( American Hickory) for the cabinets because dark woods and my eyes don't get along anymore.Especially with in a room with only one window.
    The picture (of a picture) of the old mill back in the day is wonderful. Life was hard and gritty back in those days. Give me a country home, or give me death! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.