Saturday, August 20, 2022

Saturday 9: Jack and Diane


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

It's a little ditty!

1) The video for this song features lots of snapshots. Do you have many physical photo albums? Or do you store your pictures digitally?

A. Most of my photos are digital these days, but I do have a few albums from pre-digital times.
 
2) This song tells the story of "two American kids growing up in the heartland." Young Jack dreams of being a football star. When you were in high school, did you fantasize about stardom? If yes, what were you going to be famous for?

A. I was going to be a famous writer and a rock star. I am neither.

3) Diane wears Bobbie Brooks slacks (at least briefly). Bobbie Brooks is a popular brand at Walmart. If you had a $50 gift card for Walmart, would you be more likely to use it toward groceries, clothes, household items, or electronics?

A. Household items.

4) They go to the Tasty Freeze. If you were to run out for fast food right now, where would you go?

A. Wendy's. I haven't seen a Tasty Freeze in years. We are supposedly getting a new Dairy Queen down the road a ways in the near future. If it is as bad as the one I ate it some years ago in Pennsylvania, I won't be frequenting it.

5) When John Mellencamp made this record, he was known professionally as "John Cougar," a stage name suggested by his manager. He has said that adopting a stage name is something he regrets. Looking over your life, if you could take a "do over," what one thing would you like to do differently?

A. I would have gone on to Hollins out of high school. I wanted to and had been accepted, but it was expensive (it's a private liberal arts college), I didn't qualify for any scholarships, and my parents didn't want to pay for it. My parents were not in favor of my chosen major of English, either. They agreed to pay for me to go to a college in Tennessee to major in music, but I chose not to do that. (I never understood why music was ok but English wasn't; I guess it was the cost of the school, when it comes down to it.) I went to work instead and started going to the local community college, and eventually transferred to Hollins as an older student. It was hard to be an older student, and I missed out on a lot by doing it that way. 
 
6) Even though he suffered a heart attack, John Mellencamp continues to smoke, admitting that nicotine is something he simply can't kick. Do you have a habit you wish you could break?

A. I still like to eat. Unfortunately, it's not a habit one can completely do away with, as food is a necessity. I don't bite my nails anymore, though. I did up until 2020. It took a pandemic to stop me, but I don't bite them now.
 
7) John's daughter Teddi was one of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. She went on to join the cast of Big Brother. Do you watch any reality shows?

A. We watch Survivor, but I don't know why. Habit, I guess, since we've watched it from the very beginning. My husband watches reality car shows and hunting shows, but I don't. Occasionally I've caught an episode of Naked & Afraid, but I don't make a habit of it. I watch Deadliest Catch, which I would call a reality show, but that's about it. Oh, we recently started watching The Voice during the pandemic. Forgot about that one.

8) In 1982, when this song was popular, William Windsor was born. He's better known by his job title. Without looking it up, do you know who he is?

A. I'm going to guess Prince William.
 
9) Random question: What do you do when you can't sleep?

A. I count my breaths and try to go back to sleep. If I can't go back to sleep, I get up and read a while and then try again.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

6 comments:

  1. Local hero John Mahoney (best known as Frasier's TV dad) always wanted to act, but he got sidetracked and became an English teacher and then the editor of a medical journal. He didn't get his first film role until he was 41, and it wasn't a big role or a big film. He didn't start getting serious attention until he was nearly 50. By the time of his death, he'd won a Tony and been nominated for a couple of Emmys. Which is all my long-winded way of saying you never know where your career might take you. Rock star might be hard, I grant you. But published author? Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 The Dairy Queen in town that has been here since the early 50s, they gutted and redid the inside and outsides. I was disappointed in the new look, it was a classic and now it is a tacky box.
    #6 When I stopped biting my nails, I stopped getting colds. I also cut back in meals, sometimes I have only two meals breakfast and dinner.
    #9 Sometimes I get up at 3 and have an early breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the new University was opened in 1965, my parents drove me there and told me they wanted me to go there. I was in 5th grade! I did go there for them. I was the first in my family to get my degree. The fear of math kept me from going into the medical field. I end up staying at the postal service. I got a part time job there my second year of college. Do you wish you had gone to Tenn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dairy Queen has good chocolate shakes. I don't eat their food too often, but their shakes are yummy. Are you the one that cannot have chocolate though? I wouldn't go there either if you can't have chocolate. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Dairy Queen, but some are not as good as others for sure. Have a great weekend,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so bad that your parents wouldn't pay for your college. I understand how bad it is to be told someone wouldn't pay for your college. My dad only had to come up with room and board but wouldn't do it. But anyway, you stuck it out and got your degree, and you rightly should be very proud of that!
    I once worked at a Dairy Queen, and our food was good, but this was way back in the mid 60's. We had fresh cut French fries, and no frozen burgers but fresh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.