Saturday, July 30, 2022

Saturday 9: I Would Be In Love

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Frank Sinatra sings, "If I knew then what I know now." If you were giving advice to a recent high school grad, based on that phrase, what would you say?

A. I would tell the person not to worry about what is going to happen tomorrow, because it is always the things one doesn't worry about that ultimately trip you up. I'd also tell him/her to get more education, whatever their interest, even if that's a certificate in plumbing.

2) This song is about a man looking back on his marriage, which has ended. While he is sad, he is not sorry he loved her. Do you believe that it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?

A. It's better to have loved and lost, I think. I know there is heartache involved with that, but a life without having loved sounds pretty empty to me.

3) Sinatra married four times. He met his first wife, Nancy, when he was 19. He saw a pretty girl sitting on her front porch, giving herself a pedicure, and he rushed home for his ukulele so he could serenade her. Have you ever sung to anyone? Has anyone ever sung to you? 

A. I sing to my husband frequently; I'm not sure he realizes I am telling him something when I do that, though. He cannot sing but if I ask, he will sing "Soft Kitty" to me at night before we go to sleep.

4) According to Barbara, his final wife, they met when they were neighbors in Rancho Mirage, California. Sinatra had his own tennis court, needed a fourth for doubles with his houseguests, and invited the lady next door to play. Tell us about your neighbors.

A. One of my neighbors is in her 80s. She was the athletic director at Hollins College, my alma mater, and led championship teams. She was a huge supporter of Title IX and an advocate for women's sports. She has a long list of sports titles from the many things she has done. She also owns a farm and has cattle. She is one of the most interesting people I know.

Here is a video of her talking about her work with Title IX.


5) When not performing before an audience or cameras, Sinatra often wore hats and caps because his hair was thin, and his toupee annoyed him. Is there anything you wear for "dress up" that you're happy to ditch when you go casual?

A. Makeup. I used to wear makeup every day, but then we had Covid. Since I didn't leave the house for months, I stopped wearing makeup. Now I don't wear makeup just to go to the store or something, although I think I look a little better with makeup. However, after the long break from it, makeup bothered me and made my eyes itch and I've yet to find something that doesn't. Unless I really need to have on that mascara and eye shadow, it's au natural for me these days.

6) Frank had a sweet tooth and to the end of his life, he enjoyed chocolate-covered apricots, ordered from Lepore's in his hometown of Hoboken, NJ. If you could have any sweet treat right now, what would you request?

A. Chocolate covered cherries. And white cake with white icing. Just because.
 
7) This song was written specifically for Sinatra by Bob Gaudio, best known as a member of The Four Seasons. That 1960s quartet is now legendary. In addition to 25 Top Ten Hits, they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and inspired the Broadway play and movie musical, Jersey Boys. Do you have a favorite Four Seasons song?

A. December, 1963 (Oh What a Night).

8) In 1970, the year this record was released, The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiered. Were you a fan?

A. I'm afraid it did not run on a channel we could receive, so I didn't see it unless I was visiting my grandparents or someone else. We could only get one channel for a long time when I was growing up.

9) Random question: Have you ever named your car or truck?

A. I call it "car" and it seems to respond well to that.

_______________
I encourage you to visit the posts of other participants in Saturday 9 and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  

7 comments:

  1. How romantic that your husband sings to you (if you ask)! I enjoyed the video of Coach Ware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 We need more trade people, there are shortages of plumbers, electricians, and carpenters!
    #8 Ah... the good old days before cable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 LOL. I loved "Big Bang Theory." I haven't heard "Soft Kitty" in a long time.
    #5 I haven't worn makeup in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to Almay mascara. I also am very sensitive and can't put many things on my face that have a fragrance. I actually make my own face cream with coconut oil and essential oils.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to find a mascara that does not make my eyes itch and burn. Even then I had to change it out really often. My eyes are so sensitive. I never wear make-up if I can get away with it. I do wear it to work, and I like wearing it, but it makes my eyes hurt sometimes. I use Essence mascara. It is super cheap, and my eyes are pretty comfortable wearing it. I get it from Ulta.
    We only had a couple of channels as I was growing up too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom's family only got one channel growing up. My grandfather always said it saved them a lot of arguments about what to watch. Ha! We got three channels when I was a kid and sometimes PBS or the station from Akron, OH if the stars were aligned. Later, but still before cable came to our area we could get HBO if we wrapped the rabbit ears in foil and spent a ridiculous amount of time moving them around. The good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I've ditched all make up because it and I don't get along anymore. Even lipstick makes me want to go wash my face! And I agree whole heartedly with you on question 2. It's lovely that your Hubby sings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.