Saturday, April 02, 2022

Saturday 9: Fooled Around and Fell in Love


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Chosen because Friday was April Fool's Day.

1) As an April Fool's prank, Taco Bell once announced they had purchased The Liberty Bell and renamed it The Taco Liberty Bell. Describe your perfect taco.

A. I have never had a taco. At least I don't think I have. Looks like something I should add to my diet, though.

2) In 1989, a British policeman investigated a flying saucer that had landed in a field in Surrey. When a figure in a space suit emerged, the policeman ran away. Turns out it was a hot air balloon, designed by billionaire Richard Branson to look like a UFO as an April Fool's prank/publicity stunt. Have you ever seen a UFO?

A. Yes. When I was young, I saw strange lights in the sky that I considered a UFO. It may have been a plane or Air Force training - there was a rumor when I was young that the Air Force trained out of the next county over. I was about 11 when I saw it.
 
3) This week's song is about a man who collected girls' phone numbers in a little book. When he and she broke up, he'd tear out her page. Do you keep a pen-and-paper address book? Or do you use your cellphone to hold street addresses as well as phone numbers?

A. I have addresses on paper, in a spreadsheet, in a Christmas list on MS Word, and in my phone.

4) This was the biggest hit blues guitarist Elvin Bishop ever had, but that's not him singing it. While he's proud of his composing and guitar prowess, Bishop felt his voice was too gravelly for this song. Do you like your singing voice?

A. It's ok. It could have been better with training, but I can carry a tune. Anyone who's listened to some of my videos on this blog has heard me sing.

5) A brainy kid, Elvin Bishop won a full scholarship to the University of Chicago, where he majored in physics. Obviously, though, as a blues guitarist he doesn't lean on that physics degree very often. What's something you learned in school that you seldom used again?

A. Trigonometry and Latin. I don't think I've ever had much call to use either one of those.

6) Elvin was born in Iowa, grew up in Oklahoma, went to college in Illinois, recorded in Georgia and now lives in California. How many different states have you called home?

A. Just one.
 
7) In 1976, the Summer Olympics were held in Montreal. When did you most recently visit our neighbor to the north?

A. I have never been to Canada.

8) Nadia Comaneci was the star of the 76 Olympics, scoring a perfect 10 in gymnastics. What have you enjoyed lately that you would rate "a perfect 10?"

A. The Priory of the Orange Tree, by Samantha Shannon, was an excellent (though quite long), read. I'd give it a 10 for a fantasy book.

9) Random question: Do you ever talk to your TV?

A. Yes. Just the other night I was watching My Brilliant Friend, and I kept urging Elena, "Don't let them in your house!" Also, during Battle Bots, I was rooting for Witch Doctor and urged the bot to back off when its opponent burned out instead of continuing the fight. So yes, I talk to the things on my TV, but not the TV itself, sitting there with nothing on it.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  


7 comments:

  1. You've never had a taco? Oh, girlfriend...you need to try one. Just don't try Taco Bell. That is not a good taco in the world of tacos. I've never seen a UFO, though I am ALWAYS looking. LOL Your mention of AF training exercises sounds plausible. For years it seemed like all the sightings reported triangular lights and then our military revealed the Stealth Bomber, which is triangular in shape, very quiet, and it's so big that when it flies overhead it seems like it's barely moving. After seeing it at an air show here I feel sure that it was behind all those triangular sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get thee to a Taco Truck!! Have a fantastic weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tacos! We are having them for dinner. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living so close to the Canadian border we cross (well, until Covid) regularly for meals and shopping and other events. Quebec city is the same distance from me as my state capitol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always talk to the characters in shows ... lol.. it’s fun to get so involved.

    You are in the right place to see UFOs so keep looking up. Quiet areas seem to be favored. When we saw them we were pretty experienced military plane watchers, and we heard the scramble from north island just AFTER spotting the Extremely bright, stationary lights above the cloud bank, so we knew it wasn’t any aircraft. There is no aircraft that moves as fast as they did when they shot off to the south east towards the Mexican desert.
    I’m looking up that book. Sounds like something very good for shaking off the mood I’m in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's surprising how much I use Latin, mostly for translating what I see in Spanish or French, or the base of an English word.

    We eat a lot of tacos--probably one night a week, but there is a lot of Mexican food in California. With all of your food allergies, you'd have to be careful what you put in a tortilla for a taco.

    I've never talked to the TV. I might THINK something about a show, but never say anything out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trig and Latin ... I'm sorry, but the only people who use trig and Latin are trig and Latin teachers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.