Thursday, March 24, 2022

Thursday Thirteen

1. At the start of the pandemic, when we were home always (as we are now, for the most part), I stopped wearing makeup. It seemed a waste to continue using it and my husband didn't mind.

2. When I returned to wearing makeup, which was Covergirl, I realized it made my eyes itch to use mascara (and using the other makeup made the rest of my face feel oddly, too). I bought new mascara, but the problem continued.

3. I asked others about hypoallergenic makeup, and most everyone said either Physician's Formula or Clinique.

4. Monday, I went to Walmart and found they had a small section of Physician's Formula makeup. I purchased only mascara (and it was expensive).

5. Yesterday, I wore the mascara. After several hours, my eyes began to itch.

6. This morning, my eyelids are so sore I can barely stand to wash my face. 

7. So that was a waste of money. I hate to waste money, but I don't know how else to find a product that I'm not reacting to.

8. Apparently, I need something beyond "hypoallergenic" since their idea of hypoallergenic and mine are different things. 

9. That leaves Clinique, which I know is quite expensive, and I'm not sure who carries it locally. It's probably near the perfume counter at Macy's or Belk (and I'm highly allergic to perfume), and I don't go in those stores often.

10. I don't look bad without makeup, but I look better with it. I don't look better with swollen eyelids, though.

11. The Covergirl mascara also claims to be hypoallergenic. It only makes my eyes itch; it doesn't make them hurt, so for now if I feel I need that little something extra, I will use the Covergirl.

12. I wonder how many other women are allergic to makeup? It must be many or there wouldn't be the "hypoallergenic" claims on products.

13. Any suggestions? Is it time to embrace my own self-beauty, and go without my face covered with products that may be harmful?


____________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 749th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

8 comments:

  1. I found this article on 2022's best hypoallergenic mascaras, maybe it will help? https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty-products/mascara-reviews/g30691359/best-hypoallergenic-mascara/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ha! I think I may be able to help you with this! Thrive cosmetics (https://thrivecausemetics.com/) has gotten very good reviews in Allure for their Lash Extensions mascara. Allure has a serious no bullshit editorial policy -- they'll slam you even if you bought a two-page ad -- so I trust them. It's a little expensive ($24) but a tube will last you a year, so that's $2/month. They also have an easy-to-find phone number so you can TALK TO A PERSON if you need to return it. Amazon also sells Thrive, but I don't know if the return policy is as liberal as if you buy it from Thrive's website. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. I've lost a lot of $ on mascaras that didn't work out. I had one I liked but they discontinued it. I like brownish black and waterproof (cause I have white eyelashes on one side) and all they have is black and waterproof is hard to find. The brush is important cause I use it to color my one white eyelash (segmental vitiligo). I also go days without makeup or hardly any now. My eyes have been problematic with itchy and tear duct infections etc. I finally discovered if I was my eyes with a minuscule drop of baby shampoo and then rub in a miniscule bit of vaseline my eyes do not dry and cause the tear ducts to infect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would second Thrive--I wear it when I wear mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm more of the embrace your face type, but to be fair, I have never been a makeup person. My eyes are so deepest you wouldn't know if anything is on the lids or my lashes, so I don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stopped wearing makeup over 30 years ago because it made my face itch, and then I got eczema, which got worse with the topical steroids and immunosuppressants the doctors prescribed. Still dealing with that. It was fun wearing eye shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sis, it sounds like you would be best off buying Crayola!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stopped wearing make-up several years ago. I don't miss it a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.