Saturday, March 05, 2022

Saturday 9: Good for You


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Selena Gomez sings about how eager she is to look good for her lover. What color do you look best in?

A. Blue or dark green. My eyes are hazel, and blue makes them look blue and green makes them look green. I have fair skin, so lighter colors make me look washed out.
 
2) She compares herself to a diamond, which is the birthstone of people born in April. Do you know your birthstone? Is it a gem you often wear?

A. My birthstone is a pearl or alexandrite. I have a couple of pearl necklaces, but I don't think I have any alexandrite. I used to wear the pearls frequently pre-pandemic. There isn't much point in putting them on these days, since I don't go anywhere.
  
3) Selena Gomez is a successful singer who has appeared on the Billboard charts more than 30 times. She also has her own cooking show on HBO Max. In each episode, Selena invites a chef to help her master a new recipe. She says that, off camera, the dish she enjoys making most is spicy miso ramen soup. What's your favorite soup?

A. Campbell's Chicken Pub Style Soup. I used to like tomato soup, but my stomach doesn't like it anymore.

4) She was recently nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance in the Hulu miniseries Only Murders in the Building. Have you streamed anything interesting lately that you would like to recommend to Sat 9ers?

A. Season 4 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is on now on Amazon Prime. New Shows are out on Fridays. I am also watching The Gilded Age and My Brilliant Friend. I recommend all three. My Brilliant Friend is in Italian, so there are subtitles.
 
5) Selena Gomez provides the voice for Mavis Dracula, daughter of the Count, in the animated Hotel Transylvania movie and its sequels. In these family movies, Dracula and his family run a luxury hotel where monsters can vacation and get away from it all. The tone is similar to The Munsters and The Addams Family, TV shows from nearly 60 years ago. Caspar the Friendly Ghost has been entertaining children for generations. When you were a child, were you fascinated by ghosts, goblins, monsters and other such creatures?

A. Yes, and I am still fascinated by them. What is in our psyche that makes us feel the need to make up such creatures?

6) Selena's busy schedule is especially impressive when you realize that she lives with lupus, a chronic condition that can affect the skin, joints and kidneys. She credits "diet, routine and medication" for helping her avoid flare-ups. Do you have any tips that might help us increase our productivity and efficiency?

A. Use a timer. Work at something for 10 minutes. If you want to keep going after 10 minutes, do so. If you don't, stop. At least you worked at it for a little while.

7) In 2015, when this week's song was popular, Leonard Nimoy died. Without looking it up, do you know why he was famous?

A. He played Mr. Spock in Star Trek. I know it wasn't because of this video, although it's quite cute and who'd have thought there was a connection between Star Trek and The Hobbit?

8) Also in 2015, NASA announced that water had been found on Mars. Do you follow news about science and space?

A. I do. I went outside the other day in very windy weather to see if I could catch a glimpse of a SpaceX liftoff from Wallops Island, but I could not see it. I'd rather follow news about space and science than anything else - it's real news. Not opinion.

9) Random question: What was the best year of your life?

A. I'm still waiting on that to happen. I have had years where good things have happened: my marriage, college graduations, etc., but not really a single year. That said, I have recently noted I'd like to go back to the period of about 2004-2006; I was relatively healthy, working hard at my writing with the newspaper, we hadn't had the 2007 recession yet, and the nation wasn't so divided that I could feel the hands at my throat choking me every time I looked in the eyes of someone at the grocery store.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  
 

8 comments:

  1. I like that productivity tip. Looking at a big task in 10 minute chunks might make it less overwhelming. We have been to Wallops Island a few times and will be taking our grandkids when we go to Chincoteague in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fan of Mrs. Maisel! I tried to watch the first episode of this season and felt I just didn't like Midge anymore. Maybe I should give it another chance.

    #9 -- I know what you mean. It seems we just can't be happy, healthy, successful and in love all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #7 I was rolling around on the laughing my head off! I love the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the timer thing too. Only way I can get the house clean. I'm really enjoying The Gilded Age too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I am going to watch the latest shows here in a bit after blogging.
    I need to try that timer trick! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried the Gilded Age and have watched 3 episodes, but don't much like it. I do, however, love Mrs. Maisel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great productivity tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Star Trek Picard you can buy individual shows on Amazon, a little over $3 for a show or $19 for the season, it sure beat taking a subscription to Paramount.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.