Monday, February 28, 2022

Playing Pool

Family legend has it that I spent my early years in the pool hall.

My father would take me to the nearest bar, where he gathered with his buddies. He'd place me on top of the pinball machine, and I would chase after the balls. The guys would take turns dropping quarters in the machine to watch me laugh and giggle at the balls, bells, and whistles.

Apparently, I never fell off, or maybe I did and landed on my head and that is what's wrong with me today.

At any rate, I've always loved pinball.

I also like pool. My father played pool whilst his companions kept me entertained with the pinball machine. He once told me I'd sit on a stool and watch the pool balls bounce around the table, fascinated by the swirling balls and the crack of the pool stick against the cue.

As I aged, I learned to play the game at my grandparents' home. They had a pool table in the basement. It was there I learned too that girls were not supposed to beat the boys, that doing so was akin to committing some kind of crime and would result in a tantrum and allegations of cheating when I did win. Young uncles. Phhtt.

Girls aren't supposed to beat the boys at anything, but I know a lot of girls who can open up a can of whup ass that would turn a heart to stone in a New York minute. Sometimes, if I am angry and crazy enough, I am one of them.

I recently found an 8-ball pool game on the AARP website. The irony of playing video games on the site for the old people is not lost on me. But I have enjoyed the little game, trying to remember the angles and such. The online game has rules I'm not familiar with, but I caught on quickly.

Does anyone still play pool? The real thing, with the table and the green cover? I don't know of anyone besides my husband and brother who would even know how to play pool these days. I suppose there are still pool halls and bar joints with pool tables, places that smell of beer and vomit and cue ball chalk. None that I frequently, obviously. I've not heard anyone mention a pool hall in years.

We don't have room for a pool table at my house. My husband's family also had a pool table, but it was in a moldy basement I couldn't play down there because of my allergies. I haven't been in their basement for so long I don't even know if the pool table is still there.

Back in the day, having a pool table at home was a status symbol. It was the thing to own. 

Another cool fad that has died out, I guess. Can you, dear reader, think of any others?

5 comments:

  1. It's not exactly a real pool hall, but a place recently opened in our mall where you can pay to play pool, ping-pong, air hockey, and other such games by the half-hour. A lot of the sports bars around still have pool tables, as well. By the way, I like pool and know how to play. I used to be able to beat the boys sometimes. I was fortunate in that they were boys who didn't mind and encouraged me.

    By the way, I moved to a new blog today. https://instacysshoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were playing pool when he asked me to marry him. We were so young, 18 and 19. We were at his parents' home. He would take me there after church to eat lunch. Later a group of us would go to hang out and play pool. Or sometimes they would come to our house to play ping pong. Kids now days are always on their electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cliff skipped high school to play pool. That, plus his early-morning job of throwing the Kansas City newspaper out the window of a guy's car, led to his quitting school. He was in his 50's when he finally got his G.E.D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a new diner/bar called "The Hangout" beside Lew's on Route 11. They have several pool leagues. It's actually a nice family environment. One of my employees and his wife play every Sunday and Monday evenings. They recently sent a group to the National Pool Championships in Las Vegas. Pool is alive well if you know where to look in the region.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an uncle that played in several pool Championships and in several leagues locally. I use to like to play also , not as seriously as him , but for fun. Love pinball! There use to be a pin ball museum downtown. Where you could play all the old good machines and even join with a membership. Don’t know if Covid has caused them to shut down or not but it sounded like a fun afternoon. It’s not a dead game yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.