Thursday, January 13, 2022

Thursday Thirteen

1. According to a song, some days are diamond, and some days are gold. Some days are more like coal dust and pyrite. I think today is one of those days.

2. In trying to do the right thing, I find that I frequently do the thing that ultimately isn't right for me. It might please the rest of the world, but it doesn't please me. Do you ever do that?

3. The world right now is a scary place. Politically, it's falling apart everywhere, not just here. And then of course, there's Covid. Covid makes is scary to go outside of my house. It would help if other people would stay out of my personal space, at the least, but they don't. They do what they want and get in your face if that is what they want to do. What's up with that?

4. Eating Cheerios without milk tastes a lot like I would imagine eating sawdust would taste. So, I eat Honey Nut Cheerios dry because that at least has a little flavor. It seems to have helped a little with my cholesterol numbers.

5. The next three days are the deep breath before a major weather front moves in and dumps snow. Although it looks a little like snow this morning, I am not expecting any bad weather.

6. Why do I eat my cereal dry? Because I can't drink milk. And who wants to put water on cereal? I have tried almond milk or soy milk in the past. Neither really did it for me.

7. After you've crinkled up a sheet of aluminum foil, no matter how hard you try, you can't make it look like it did when you pulled it out of the box.

8. The long version of Inagodadivida (sp) is over 15 minutes of play time. I put it on when I want to do a fast house cleaning.

9. It is always easier to do the wrong thing than the right thing, at least when it comes to food. For some people, they are angels and choose the grains, the fruit, etc., but for some of us, if the choice is an apple or a candy bar, the candy bar wins.

10. Actually, in my case, neither of those would win. I haven't been able to eat apples since I had my gallbladder removed in 2013, and I still am (mostly) off chocolate. I have discovered I can handle an occasional small piece of dark chocolate, but milk chocolate sets of my tummy troubles terribly.

11. The grocery stores will be packed today, tomorrow, and Saturday as folks go for bread and milk for the big snow. We went yesterday to avoid the crowds.

12. We did not start feeding the birds until late, like after Thanksgiving. For some reason, the birds are not flocking to the feeder. I don't know if it is the weather or the fact that we kept it empty too long. I am disappointed, though, that I am not seeing my feathered friends this year like I did last year, when we first put the feeder up.

13. Guitar picks are all over the place in my office. I carry them with me and they're on my desk, on book case shelves, in guitars. I used to never use guitar picks and played finger style, but lately I've been relearning to use the guitar pick. I've been trying to become a better guitar player. Mediocre is ok, but I'd like to do better. Besides, I have to keep the ol' noggin thinking and working, right?

_____________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while, and this is my 739th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. We are expecting that weather system here in KY before you get it. I placed a grocery order last night. When you live out in a holler (like me) there won't be any snow removal, unless we do it ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a devil of a time with blogger today. I hope I'm not posting multiple comments.

    ANYWAY, I'm sorry you seem to be feeling melancholy and unsettled. Covid is getting to us all. Somehow the unvaccinated are loud and proud instead of embarrassed about their selfishness and ignorance about putting the rest of us at risk. I don't think history will view them kindly.

    I hope birds find their way back to your feeder. That used to be one of my mom's favorite things: watching birds landing on her backyard feeder to partake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried the flavored almond milk? I don't like plain almond milk, but I do drink the chocolate and the vanilla is yummy on cereal...and this is from someone who doesn't like regular milk or almonds. I expect the stores to be crazy here tomorrow as it is payday and with the storm coming. I went today for a few things we needed. Not because of the storm. As long as we have a reasonable amount of things on hand I don't worry about it. We've only been literally snowed in twice in my life. In 1992 we got 3 feet of snow in less than 24 hours and life ground to a halt for 3 days before roads got cleared. Power stayed on thank goodness because I was alone with a 6 year old and a new baby and my husband was part of the crew of volunteers trying to dig out the town. Then in March of 1993 we got 2 feet of snow in a day. We were only stuck for one day that time and my hubby was at home with us...though I did come down with strep throat at the same time. I never get the folks who freak out because we're going to get an inch or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite snacks in the past was Cheerios eaten just out of the box. Stopped that though when I was watching calories and carbs. Need a bit of protein to feel full and cereal with or without milk wasn't cutting it as a morning breakfast :) My husband is "good" about forgetting to take guitar picks out of his shirt pockets. I've washed a few over the years. I hope you don't get too much snow.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.