Saturday, January 15, 2022

Saturday 9: Bobby's Girl


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Marcie Blane confesses she sits at home, hoping Bobby will call her. Do you owe anyone a phone call or email?

A. No. I'm caught up on all of my correspondence.

2) We know Marcie wants to be Bobby's Girl. Let's play the Google Game and find out what you want. Go to your favorite search engine, keystroke your name and "wants," and then search. (For example: "Samantha wants" led us to a math problem that begins: "Samantha wants to purchase a new dress ... " Crazy Sam was tempted to read on because her wardrobe could use sprucing up.) What does Google tell us you want?

A. In Bing, I want "more than an apology" and in Google, I want "to follow a healthy lifestyle."

3) This hit record was an accident. Marcie Blaine had just graduated from high school and had a few days before she had to take off for her summer job as a camp counselor. A friend asked her to record a couple songs he'd written, just so he could play them for record labels and song publishers. Her friend was hoping somehow an established star would hear the songs, record them and make one of them a hit. Instead, a producer at Seville Records said he wanted not just the songs but especially the unknown girl who was singing them, and Marcie became a recording artist. Tell us about a favor you're very glad you did for a friend.

A. I am always happy to help folks. At the moment, I can't think of anything specific I've done lately since we've all been holed up in our houses because of the pandemic. Although I suppose taking over the fellowship in my multi-player video game because the former leader was having some personal issues might count as a favor. Hopefully he will be back soon, and I can give the game leadership back.

4) By the time summer was over, and Marcie's gig as a counselor was done, she was #3 on the charts. Her record stayed in the "Hot 100" for 19 weeks and, for the second half of 1962, she was the top-selling female singer in the US. What female singer do you listen to most often?

A. I listen to Sheryl Crow and Melissa Etheridge most often. I also like Heart, The Pretenders, Jewel, Alanis Morrisette, Linda Ronstadt, and I'm sure I'm leaving others out.

5) After "Bobby's Girl" took off, she recorded it in German for the European market. Only she didn't speak German, so she sang it phonetically. Can you sing any songs in a language other than English?

A. O Sola Mia!  That's about it. Maybe also bits of "Fere Jaques" which I'm probably not even spelling correctly (Are You Sleeping, Brother John?).

6) Seville rushed Marcie into the studio to make more records. None of them charted higher than #68, and Marcie wasn't having fun. After a year of being a rock 'n roller, she enrolled at Queens College in New York City. What's the most recent class you took?

A. I took a Great Course in abnormal psychology a while back.

7) In 1962, when this song was popular, the most popular baby names were Michael and Lisa. Are there any Michaels or Lisas in your life?

A. Yes, but they are on the periphery of my life, and not actually in it.

8) Also in 1962, Marlene White, the first African American flight attendant for a major US airline, appeared on the cover of Jet magazine. What's the last magazine you flipped through? Was it in print or online?

A. I read Blue Ridge Country magazine and am currently looking at the most recent AARP magazine. Both were in print. I don't really like looking at magazines online.

9) Random Question: After enjoying a long, relaxing weekend, do you find yourself more or less productive on Monday morning?

A. My days all run together; it really doesn't matter what day it is anymore, since my husband retired.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  


8 comments:

  1. My days can run together too since we are retired. I heard Linda Ronstadt in concert back in the 80's. The concert was called Canciones de mis padre (Songs of my Father) It was an outside even and it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 -- I think that matters. Online games are very important to the players, all the time but especially during the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard of this song or the story behind it. Fascinating how it all came to be. It was good that Marcie realized she wasn't happy recording and went off to enroll in college. Since I'm still working (hubby is retired) I do have Monday mornings at work. Most of them are productive. It's Tuesdays that I struggle with being productive.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the helping out as the leader. I play a game where I play with other teammates in a tournament and our leader is so helpful with helping us know how to do tasks. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. #8 I forgot about AARP magazine, and I also read AAA magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious--what videogame do you play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called "Elvenar" and it's a city-building game. You trade for goods and do a research tree to grow your city.

      Delete
  7. I loved all your female vocalists, and would add Cindi Lauper. And, I really understand about the online game. The one I play has helped get me through this mess of a pandemic. Also, the days do all seem to run together. true..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.