Saturday, January 29, 2022

Saturday 9: All of Me


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Louis Armstrong calls his girl "baby." What's the last endearment someone used when speaking to you?

A. My husband calls me "sweetie pie" a lot. Or "baby." Sometimes I think he doesn't know my name.
 
2) He sings that losing his love made him cry. Do you cry easily?

A. Not really, no.
 
3) Louis was born in New Orleans, a city famous for music and cuisine. What's something you love about your hometown?

A. My county has a deep history, of which my family played a role . . . all the way back to the American Revolution. We're surrounded by the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, and I love their rolling majesty.
 
4) At age 11, Louis unwisely fired a pistol during a New Year's Eve celebration and was sentenced to 18 months in a juvenile detention facility. It was there that he met music teacher Peter Davis, who believed in Louis and taught him to play cornet and bugle. Tell us about someone who believed in you and made your life better.

A. The editor of The Fincastle Herald believed I could be a good writer one day and hired me to be a stringer way back in 1984. If he hadn't done that, I'd probably have stayed in the legal profession, though I hated that work.
 
5) Louis would say that arrest changed his life for the better because it was at the detention center that "me and music got married." After his release, he began playing on street corners, or in honkytonks . . . any place he could hone his skills. What is something you have worked hard to be better at?

A. Crocheting, for one thing. Playing the guitar, for another. And writing.

6) In the late 1920s, Louis led a jazz band called The Hot Five. His wife, Lil, believed he was too talented not to receive star billing. He just didn't feel ready. She went behind his back and convinced the management at Chicago's Dreamland Cafe to advertise: "The Hot Five, featuring Louis Armstrong: The World's Greatest Trumpet Player." It worked! At the end of the gig, Okeh Records signed him to a recording contract. Can you think of a time when, like Lil, you were glad you asked for forgiveness rather than permission?

A. I took guitar lessons when I was a teenager without telling my parents.

7) In 1932, the year this record was popular, the son of aviator Charles Lindbergh was kidnapped and killed. This famous case inspired Agatha Christie to write Murder on the Orient Express. Have you read the book? Seen the movie, the remake or the miniseries?

A. I have not read the book or seen any kind of movie or television show about it. I've heard of it, of course.

8) Another aviator was in the news in 1932. Amelia Earhart flew 14 hours from Newfoundland to Londonderry. What is the longest flight you've ever taken?

A. I flew to Spain when I was a teenager.

9) Random question: You have the opportunity to travel safely in a time machine. Would you go back to the past, into the future, or say, "no thanks, I'll stay in 2022?"

A. I would go into the future. I want to see how we turn out. Of course, it would be my luck I'd land in the spot where they're dropping the final bomb of the world. But maybe all would be well, and I'd only be eaten by a zombie.

_______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  
 

9 comments:

  1. I love your answer to that last question …

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be terrified to go into the future.
    I love that you took guitar lessons without your parents knowing. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my flight to Spain might have been my longest flight--I just can't remember, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. You want to go to the future for the same reason I do, but I never considered the possibility of bombs or zombies in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #3 My family goes all the way back to the American Revolution, according to my grandmother we are related to Benedict Arnold. I guess that he was from New Haven CT before turning coat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was interesting to read to learn some things about Louie Armstrong. I'm intrigued how you could take guitar lessons as a youth without telling your parents. Wondering how you practiced :)

    Sometimes I think youth who get into trouble like Louie Armstrong did and had to pay for it with being detained for that period of time learn valuable lessons that carry them through. Sounds like it was a "good" experience for him all around.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to go to Spain--to see the Alhambra--I bet it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you found the guitar and that it's stayed with you (or you've stayed with it) to give you pleasure. You're like Louis, you're married to music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother's family line goes all the way back to Cumberland Gap and the Scottish hillbillies. ;)true! McCoys
    Gal is right, you are married to music. Good for you to keep playing your guitar! The twins sort of left me NO time to play, they would cry when I played, the brats.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.