Thursday, August 05, 2021

Thursday Thirteen

1.  “Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” ~ Ernest Hemingway, The Garden of Eden

2. “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” ~ Marthe Troly-Curtin, Phrynette Married

3. “You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.” ~ Albert Camus

4. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

5. “Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.” ~ Dalai Lama XIV

6. “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

7. “They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.” ~ Tom Bodett

8. “Take responsibility of your own happiness, never put it in other people’s hands.” ~ Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

9. “Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.” ~ George Burns

10. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” ~ Marcel Proust

11. "The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open.” ~ Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

12. “I don't think that there are any limits to how excellent we could make life seem.” ~ Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything Is Illuminated

13. “I've always thought people would find a lot more pleasure in their routines if they burst into song at significant moments.” ~ John Barrowman

_______________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 717th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Most intelligent people tend to be cynical that is why they are not happy. I agree with # 2 and #7, with moderation of #2. The use of a wasted day for enjoyment or rejuvenation is not a day wasted.Stress relief and mental health are important. The three things listed in # 7 I do think lead to a happy life. Just my thoughts….

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great quotes. #6 brought Merry and Pippin to mind, singing in the pub, dancing on the tables!

    http://inmywords.kimdeister.com/2021/08/05/thursday-13-tiny-houses/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just received a mail notice of a seminar on "The Habits of Happy People" with one being in Salem. Here is a ditty I wrote at one time on the topic:
    I’m suspicious of happy
    because it rhymes with sappy
    It often follows slap
    and rarely lasts


    It reminds me of jolly
    which rhymes with folly
    makes me think of giddy
    which I think of as being
    followed by up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe #1 to be true, and it's sad. Intelligence often comes with minds that don't quit, an exhausting way to live. Not speaking for myself! I mean "genius" type intelligence, they just aren't happy, and often suffer mental illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list. My favorites are #2 and #10.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.