Saturday, July 10, 2021

Saturday 9: Mairzy Doats


Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) While today this is considered a children's song, "Mairzy Doats" was a #1 hit and a staple on radio stations in 1944. Do you know any of today's most popular songs?

A. I do not. At least, I do not recognize the titles. I listen to current radio from time to time so I'm surprised I don't recognize a single song on the list.

2) One of the song's writers recalled that the song was inspired by an old English nursery rhyme. Tell us a rhyme you remember from childhood.

A. Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do! I'm half crazy all for the love of you! It won't be a stylish marriage. I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two! (My grandmother used to sing that to all of us grandkids.)

3) This week's group, The Merry Macs, was formed by three brothers -- Judd, Joe and Ted McMichael -- who learned to harmonize at home. Did you grow up in a musical household?

A. I did. My father sang and played guitar. He played in a Top 40 cover band for many years. My grandfather from California also played guitar and sang, as did all of my father's brothers. My maternal grandmother sang and played piano a little. My mother also sang.

4) When the McMichaels decided their new group needed a woman's voice, they asked Cheri McKay to join them. Realizing all their names began with Mc, they began calling themselves The Merry Macs. Have you ever performed with a singing group? (Yes, that garage band you played in after school counts.) If yes, what was your band called?

A. Almost Famous.

Here's my band. I played guitar and sang backup and a few lead songs:




I also played flute in the high school band.



5) The Merry Macs' first gigs were playing high school dances. Do you have any memories of school dances you'd like to share this morning?

A. Well, my band played one of the high school dances. That was fun.

6) Once their recording career took off, The Merry Macs went to Hollywood. They appeared in a film with the comedy team of Abbott and Costello. Who last made you laugh?

A. I haven't had much to laugh about lately. Let me think. Hmm. I think it was Alexa with a really bad joke.

7) In 1944, when "Mairzy Doats" topped the charts, sunscreen was invented. It was first developed to protect soldiers during WWII, and that original formula was sold to Coppertone. Do you regularly use sunscreen?

A. No. I don't go outside that much and I can't stand anything but unscented stuff and it's hard to find. I tend to wear a hat, sunglasses, and long sleeves in the summer.

8) Also in 1944, a board game called Murder! was introduced in England. In 1949 it made its way to the United States and was renamed Clue. It's still popular today. Can you name any of the original 6 "characters" in the Clue game? (Extra credit: One was replaced in 2016; who was it?)

A. The Butler. That's all I got and I'm not even sure that's correct.

9) Random question: The new house you just bought comes with a big mirror on the ceiling of the master bedroom. Would you take it down or leave it there?

A. Thirty years ago, I would have left it up. Now it would come down. Although to be honest, I'd have never bought a house with a mirror on the ceiling in the master bedroom to begin with. I'd have insisted on a new ceiling without holes in it if I did.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

8 comments:

  1. I love that your family has such a long musical legacy. I've always wished for even a drop of musical ability. Almost Famous is a great name for a band!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics of your musical adventures!

    When it came to the mirror, I didn't even think of the holes it would leave. Waking up to the holes would be as bad as waking up to the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your answers.
    I would also take down the ceiling mirror.
    Have a good Saturday.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forget that Alexa tells jokes--I usually ask her about the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your answer to #2...that is such a sweet memory. Very cool answer to #4 and #5. I had hoped you would have a band...or maybe I already knew that. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fellow rocker and flutist! I love it!

    http://inmywords.kimdeister.com/2021/07/10/saturday-9-mairzy-doats/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your pictures Anita! Looks like it was a fun time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful auburn hair, reminds me of Lynn’s when we first met!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.