Saturday, July 31, 2021

Saturday 9: Dead Skunk


Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

(I had no idea this was a real song.)

1) This song is about a poor dead skunk that stinks "to high heaven." Have you ever experienced the spray from a skunk?

A. I'm afraid I have. One night when my husband was at the fire house, I was awakened by the sound of my dog barking. She was a small dog, some kind of mutt cross between a terrier and an Eskimo Spitz, I think. We left her outside because of my allergies and she lived to be 17 so she must not have minded. She had a nice house and a bed that we lined frequently with cedar chips. But on this night, she found a skunk. She chased the skunk onto the front porch, and it sprayed. I thought I would choke to death as I tried to get up and into some clothes. For the life of me, I could not get the dog away from the skunk. That was her skunk and she wasn't going anywhere. She barked and the skunk sprayed. It smelled so thick of skunk in the front yard, I thought I would pass out trying to hold my breath. I called my husband and woke him at the fire station and asked what to do. He said he would come home. About the time he drove up the driveway, I had found a flashlight, dug out a garden hose, and finally, using the heavy setting on the water sprayer, driven the dog sort of away from the skunk. He took over and we finally got the dog out of the front yard - oh my word, she stunk, and so did we. The skunk finally wandered off. The whole house reeked of skunk. We washed ourselves, the dog, and the side of the house down with everything we could think of (FYI, tomato juice doesn't really help). I had to throw away the clothes and the sneakers I'd put on. For years, literally, every time it rained, the front porch smelled like skunk.

2) Dennis Oliver, a disc jockey in Quincy, IL, played this song every night at 9:00 PM for decades. The only thing that got him to stop was being moved to the morning slot. What song do you never tire of?

A. There are numerous songs that I listen to over and over again, especially if I am trying to learn the song or hear something in particular that I feel I'm missing. An important line, perhaps, or a change in rhythm. I always sing along to American Pie.

3) At Georgia Tech's Russ Chandler Stadium, the fans sing this during the 7th inning stretch of their baseball games. Do you know the lyrics of the more conventional 7th inning choice, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"

A. I am not sure I know them all, but Alexa sings the song to me sometimes when I ask her to sing a song.

4) This week's featured artist, Loudon Wainwright III, can play many instruments, but is said to enjoy banjo and ukulele best. If you could magically become proficient on any instrument right now, which would you choose, and why?

A. I would love to magically be more proficient on the guitar. I can play fairly well, but I don't consider myself proficient at it. I have always enjoyed playing. I love the sound of the instrument, the coordination it takes to make the chords with one hand and strum with the other, and the versatility of it.

5) He appeared as Capt. Spalding on several episodes of M*A*S*H in the 1970s. If you could transport yourself into the world of your favorite TV show, which would you choose?

A. I would have to go with something fantastical, like the Star Trek world. Or the Buffy the Vampire Slayer world, although that's a little scarier. Or Supergirl world. Or maybe Big Bang Theory world, where everyone is still friends regardless.

6) Loudon's mother was a yoga instructor. What did you most recently do for exercise?

A. Walked.

7) He went to St. Andrew's School in Delaware, where the movie Dead Poet's Society, starring Robin Williams, was filmed. When you think of Robin Williams, do you recall his dramatic movie roles, his funny movies, his comedy routines, or Mork from Ork?

A. I suppose I think of his dramatic roles and comedy roles. I don't ever think of Mork from Ork as I never watched it. I loved Dead Poet's Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, his voice as the djinn in Aladdin, and his work in the Fisher King. I was not comfortable when he began rifting into his comedy routines on talk shows; it seemed unnatural to me.

8) In 1973, when this song was popular, Norman Mailer created a great deal of buzz with his book about Marilyn Monroe. Do you read many biographies and memoirs? Or do you prefer to read fiction?

A. I read fiction, mostly, but I also read nonfiction in the form of self-help books, books on writing, books on politics, and books on religion. I occasionally read a biography or memoir but not often.

9) Random question: You're on the road, traveling through a town you've never been in before, and ready to stop for a quick bite. On one side of the street is a cute little diner called Mom's. On the other side is McDonald's. Which do you choose?

A. We have yet to eat in a restaurant (we take out and either eat it in the car or bring it home) and have never stopped wearing masks. If the little diner has a drive through, we go there. If not, I'm afraid it would be McDonalds, even though I can't remember the last time I ate at McDonalds. If we're over Covid, we would check out Mom's. I really don't like McDonalds.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

8 comments:

  1. The only time my dogs tangled with a skunk was my first day of my last bus driving job...and of course they did it 5 minutes before I had to leave! Thankfully, my mom was able to come deal with them and I left her with the recipe for a de-skunking shampoo a friend had given me. It really works! It's a combo of peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap. I can't remember the exact measurements of each, but it's easily found online. It got rid of all the smell and the only "bad" thing was that it turned the black Poodle's hair red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently heard "Classical Gas" on the radio and recalled seeing Mason Williams perform it on The Smothers TV show. He made it look so matter of fact, like a really good athlete does. It's the coordination you wrote about. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 Been there, done that. My dog used to go after any critter that crossed our yard. I don't how many time we had to exiled out of the house for chasing skunks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loudon Wainwright III also wrote the theme song for Mash. Because a lot of his songs are considered folk, I hear him every once in awhile on my Pandora station. My favorite song of his is "Graveyard". Oh, and "White Winos".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart, you. We are back to masking as the cases go up, and we're in a 70% vaccinated State. Tired of the whole thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This song still pops into my head when I drive by road kill. It was a childhood favorite of my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Covid has gotten really bad here this summer. I have never stopped masking either. I worry covid will never go away because it will keep mutating and changing like the flu. I pray I am wrong.
    The skunk story! What a nightmare. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skink story was terrible!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.