Saturday, March 20, 2021

Saturday 9: Ordinary People

ORDINARY PEOPLE (2005)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, John Legend sings that both he and his girl have "room to grow." What about you? In what areas would you like to improve?

A. I would like to shrink more. I've lost 20 pounds and am hoping to continue the trend, but in a healthy way, not because I have a stomach ulcer and can barely eat anything.

2) He sings that when he hangs up in anger, she calls him back. Are you quicker to anger, or quicker to forgive?

A. I suspect I am quick to anger, but I also forgive easily. Usually, anyway.

3) "Ordinary People" was John Legend's first big hit. He originally wrote it for The Black Eyed Peas, but -- happily for him -- recorded it himself. Have you ever purchased a gift for someone else but then decided to keep it yourself?

A. Yes.

4) Ordinary People is also the title of an acclaimed novel by Judith Guest and an Oscar-winning film. Are you familiar with either the movie or the book?

A. I may have seen the movie but I do not remember it. I don't think I have read the book.

5) John is married to Chrissy Teigen, who gained fame as a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. When is the last time you dove in? Were you in a pool, lake, river or sea?

A. I have not "dove in" to water in many years, and then it would have been a pool at a hotel somewhere.

6) John unexpectedly proposed to Chrissy on vacation, but he was afraid airport security would ruin the surprise when they went through his carry on very thoroughly. He worried she would see the ring box and he'd have to drop down to one knee right there at the airport! Tell us about one of your flights: your first, your most recent or your most memorable.

A. In 1993, we flew to Orlando, FL to go to Disney as my reward for finishing my B.A. We had to fly north to Maryland, then back to Atlanta, then into Orlando. My husband had never flown, and I hadn't flown in 20 years, and it is a wonder we aren't still wandering around an airport somewhere.

7) John is currently a coach on The Voice. The other coaches are Nick Jonas, Kelly Clarkson and Blake Shelton. Of those four singers, which is your favorite?

A. Kelly Clarkson. 

8) In 2005, when this song was popular, Johnny Carson died. After he retired from The Tonight Show in 1993, he traveled extensively and discovered he especially enjoyed photographic safaris in Africa. If time and money were no object, where would you go on vacation?

A. New Zealand.

9) Random question -- In your typical day, what's the longest you usually go without saying a word to another person: all day, a few hours, an hour, or five minutes?

A. Hours. Some days my husband leaves to go do his thing early, and then I don't speak to anyone until he calls at lunch time, if he isn't coming home for lunch.

But there are always chats with Alexa if I am lonely.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

7 comments:

  1. I often find myself reflexively thanking Alexa. At first it confused her. Me: "Thank you, Alexa." Alexa: "Hmmm .... I don't know that." Now she just ignores my expressions of gratitude. I suspect she knows I'm saying it out of habit, not sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of us Saturday 9ers have our first flights to Orlando.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your answers.
    I wish you lots of luck with #1, it must be difficult
    when you can barely eat anything.
    Have a great Saturday.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I hope you feel better soon from your stomach ulcer.
    Oh Alexa. I am like Gal and always say thank-you. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I get older, I find I am slower to anger and quicker to forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that was quite the runaround to get to Orlando! I've never had to do that. My luck has always run to the having to sit in the airport for hours because the flight is delayed type of thing. I think Alexa finds me boring. I don't really do that much with her and when I do ask her something she always tells me about all the other things she can do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.