Thursday, February 18, 2021

Thursday Thirteen

Today I thought I'd list the female country singers who have influenced me. My parents listened to country when I was young. Mind you, when I hit middle school and figured out that if I had my own radio in my room, I could turn the dial, I did. I went straight to Pop Top 40 and Kasey Casem's Countdown and never looked back. But still, there is a little bit of country in this ol' woman, I reckon.

1. Dolly Parton. I remember my mother singing Coat of Many Colors. She had another song, Love is Like A Butterfly, that my mother asked me to learn on the guitar, which I did. Dolly Parton also has done a lot of good with her money, which is more than I can say for many rich people.

2. Reba McIntire. This artist is someone I admire simply for tenacity and the ability to reinvent herself. I honestly cannot name a single song she sings, but I know she's done incredible things with her career. I admire a woman who doesn't let the glass ceiling give her a headache.

3. Anne Murray. Her song, "You Needed Me," was one of those that clutched your heart and allowed you to cry yourself to sleep at night after some silly boy let you down.

4. Loretta Lynn. She had grit and determination. I remember watching her on TV and thinking that she held herself well, and her music had an intensity that I sometimes found lacking in other singers.

5. Barbara Mandrell. I remember her best for her variety music show, which I watched religiously.

6. June Carter Cash. She's one of the originals, and she wrote many of Johnny Cash's hits.

7. Linda Ronstadt. I wouldn't have placed Ronstadt as country, but she was in the list I looked at, so here you go. She is one of my favorites, with a set of pipes unmatched in her day. I loved her early work and I was greatly taken by her album with Aaron Neville.
 
8. Crystal Gayle. I best remember her song, "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue." 

9. Bonnie Raitt. Now here's a woman after my own heart, a guitar player who can belt them out better than anyone. She put in a lot of time before she hit it big. She is a good song writer, too. I've been surprised at the number of tunes she penned.

10. Olivia Newton-John. Here's another singer I would have considered pop instead of country, but her songs cross-over. I know all of her songs from Grease and adored most of her work when I was younger.

11. Sheryl Crow. Yet another singer I consider pop and not country, but what do I know? I listen to Sheryl all the time. She's the singer I have on when I am writing articles. I listen to her early albums, though. I haven't bought a new one in a long time.

12. Jeannie C. Riley. How could the singer of "Harper Valley, PTA" not have left an impression on a young girl who wanted to be a guitar player and a singer?

13. Juice Newton. I still listen to Juice Newton's songs, even though she had one or two good albums and then faded away. I thought she had a good voice and a good ear for arrangements.

_____________

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 695th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.




9 comments:

  1. I did not grow up with country music though I do like the occasional song. I was surprised to read that Linda Ronstadt was on the country list. I thought she was just soft rock. But I loved her when she put out the Canciones de Mis Padres (Songs of my Father-parents) We heard her in concert and enjoyed it very much. It allowed us-sibling to connect to our Hispanic roots. We did not grow up with much of our Hispanic culture other than visits with my grandparents on my dad's side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue was a favorite. I LOVE Bonnie Raitt and Sheryl Crow and many of the new female country singers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CountryDew:
    I remember most all of these female country singers and have loved them all.
    Great post! Have a good Thursday.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this list. I'm not much into country but I know and admire every single one on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great list, Anita! We recently watched a documentary on Linda Ronstadt. She's always been one of my favorite singers, but until that documentary I had no idea the range of her voice. My gosh, from high soprano to alto. I like her dedication and guts to try out different styles of music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love the "Harper Valley PTA" song! I wouldn't put Sheryl Crow in a country music category, either, but I guess some of it, maybe. Same thing with Taylor Swift, I guess. I hadn't thought of Juice Newton in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent choices! There are a lot of artists...female, male, groups...that I'd never call country, but it seems a lot of what we considered rock or pop when we were younger fits better in the country category than modern rock and pop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved seeing your list of singers. It’s great! Most I’ve heard of, and listen to their songs, but not Juice Newton.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this list. June Carter Cash -- one of my favs. Have you listed to Caitlin Canty? My current favorite song is "Who". This live version gives me goosebumps. Enjoy! https://youtu.be/XkM7gDWKcus

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.