Sunday, January 31, 2021

Sunday Stealing

Sunday Stealing

1. What is your favorite animal and why?

A. I like deer. They are cautious yet curious, and lovely to look at it. The deer is also my spirit/totem animal.

2. Are people animals? What separates humans from animals?

A. I think people are animals, and some are more animal than people. Speech and the opposable thumb are two things that separate us from animals.

3. Which animal is the most dangerous?

A. Poisonous ones, like certain snakes and spiders.

4. What should you do if a bear approaches you?

A. Make yourself as big as you can and slowly back away. Do not turn your back and run. If you can make a lot of noise, that helps, too.

5. Do you like dogs? Why do people call the dog, man’s best friend?

A. I like dogs. I am highly allergic to all animals, but that doesn't mean I don't like them. People call dogs "man's best friend" because dogs are loyal and tend to consider their owners as part of their pack.

6. Do you enjoy going to the zoo? Some people consider zoos to be cruel environments for animals. What do you think?

A. I have not been to a zoo in 40 years. I think zoos have a place in ensuring survival of decimated species, but I am not keen to see animals caged up.

7. Where is the best place to see animals in your country? In the world?

A. In the United States, the best place to see animals would be Yosemite National Park. In the world, I assume on a safari in the Serengeti in Tanzania, Africa.

8. Are you a vegetarian? What makes some people give up eating meat?

A. I am not a vegetarian. I presume people give up meat because they don't like, or maybe for environmental and health reasons.

9. Which animal is most helpful to humans?

A. Since machines now perform most work performed by humans, at least in first world nations, companion animals such as dogs or cats are most helpful. In areas that depend upon animals for various uses, such as agriculture, oxen or horses might be most helpful. If you're drowning in the ocean, a dolphin is good to have around.

10. If you could be any animal (besides human), which animal would you like to be?

A. I would be a bird of some kind.

11. Who would win in a fight between a tiger and a lion?

A. I have no idea.

12. What do you think about hunting animals? Would you like to try it?

A. I think if you're going to eat the animal, it is ok. If you're simply shooting to have a trophy, then shame on you. I hunt animals with a camera, not a gun.

13. Books like “Watership Down” and “Animal Farm” give animals human characteristics like human thoughts or language. Is this how you think animals really are? Or are those really just stories about people?

A. Animals have a broad range of emotions and human-like characteristics. I have observed deer return to the spot where my husband killed a buck, for example, and appear to be searching for the one missing. I have seen squirrels gather around the body of a dead one, not to eat it, but as if saying goodbye. Certain animals mate for life and do not mate again if one dies. I suspect their thought processes are quite different than humans, but perhaps not as "bird brained" as one might think.

14. Some animals are endangered due to illegal poaching. How do you feel about this issue?

A. I think people should stop killing endangered animals.

15. If we can bring an extinct animal from the past back with genetic engineering, should we do it? Which animals should we bring back?

A. I think we should leave well enough alone. I would not bring any of them back, although I admit I would like to see a pterodactyl flying overhead.

_______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.


11 comments:

  1. Living in a remote area that relies on the industry of hunting, I am all for hunting for eating but NOT for trophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed your answers, we live rural also, agree that killing for food is ok not for trophy. Shooting animals with our cameras way more fun, unless its that bear that we do not fun from :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t know what my animal spirit is. Crows always make me feel all is well when I see or hear them. I think, though, the crow was the first husband’s, while the white butterfly was Daddy’s and the black hummingbird, Mama’s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m with you, Anita. Leave well enough alone. No doubt there is already some evilish greedy Gus considering how to make money out of genetically engineering life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Anita. Forgive me if you see several like comments. Either the Internet, Blogger, or my machine is playing tricks on me. I can't remember what I said. Darn my very short term memory box. I once thought the crow was my spirit animal, because crows always make me feel secure when I see or hear them. Lately my original thought that the crow was the first husband's is more likely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your #9 is what I meant to say, only you said it better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder what pterodactyl droppings look like. LOL

    I didn't know that about deer. I know other animals which seem to grieve for a dead friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it is wise to leave well enough alone, and let them stay extinct. The price on the head of the animals that were brought back would be in the millions. It’s probably already there, since a permit to kill endangered “rogue” giraffe was several million, recently. It disgusts me. Trophy hunters should be hunted down and spray painted with indelible ink.
    My animal spirit is the bear. It’s appeared to me dozens of times but not in the last several years. Now it’s the Raven, I believe. Since my daughter passed away,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also be a bird, probably a sea eagle. They seem to be left alone, to live their lives, by everyone.
    Sustenance hunting is an important part of the Hunter/food gathering life everywhere on the planet. Totally agree.
    It’s past 1am here.. I’m a bit dull ...lol... nightly night! 😴

    ReplyDelete
  10. AH yes - a bord might be a good animal to come back as - the problem is that I am scared of heights.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don’t know about coming back as a bird but I do love watching them “catch the wind” before a storm.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.