Saturday, January 30, 2021

Saturday 9: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy


Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) Bette Midler sings that the bugle boy wakes up Company B every morning by playing reveille. What awakened you this morning (phone, alarm clock, sunrise, etc.)? Or did you wake up on your own?

A. Alexa wakes me up in the mornings.

2) This single was produced by Bette's arranger/piano player, who went on to have a successful singing career of his own. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song?

A. I Write the Songs.

3) Bette was named after Bette Davis. Her sisters, Susan and Judy, were named for Susan Hayward and Judy Garland. So now we know who Mother Midler's favorite actresses were. Who are yours?

A. Meryl Streep, Gal Gadot, Melissa Benoist, Sharon Gless, Tyne Daly, Sandra Bullock, Kate Jackson, Nicole Kidman, et al. and not in that order.

4) Bette has been married since 1984 to artist Martin von Haselberg. She was 39 years old, already a star, and had never married before. Yet within six weeks of meeting him, she was so sure Martin was "the one" that they tied the knot. Have you found that love takes time, or, like Bette, have you fallen in love quickly?

A. I fell in love quickly. My husband and I met in October and I knew by Christmas we would marry, it was just a matter of time.

5) When their daughter Sophie was growing up, it was Martin who taught her to cook. What was the last thing you prepared in your kitchen? Did you use the microwave, stovetop, convection oven, blender, coffee maker . . .?

A. Microwave.
 
6) Bette says that listening and compromise have been the key to their happy marriage but adds, "Compromise is hardest of all." On what have you compromised recently?

A. My husband's retirement.

7) Bette and Martin have a farmhouse in upstate New York. She enjoys feeding the chickens (whom she has jokingly named The Kardashians) and puttering in her garden. Do you have a green thumb?

A. I have been told I do, but I haven't really gardened in a long time.

8) In 1973, the year this song was popular, actor Neil Patrick-Harris was born. He's best known as Barney on How I Met Your Mother, which ran from 2005-2014. Were you a fan?

A. No. I watched it a few times but it seemed rather pointless.

9) Random question -- How often do you put crackers in your soup: Always, often, seldom or never?

A. Often.

______________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your love story. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexa keeps telling me she can do that, but I've yet to try it out. Actually, I don't tap into very much of what she tells me she can do. I did just buy a smart plug, though, so I can tell her to turn the light on or off. Progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Cagney and Lacy! It was my friend Kathy's favorite show and she used to tell me I needed a "good man, like Harve."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list of actors and I concur with you! Great women all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi CountryDew:
    I enjoyed your answers today.
    I do NOT have a green thumb #7, wish I did.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to google a couple of your actresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like that was have a lot of Meryl Streep fans here on Sat. 9
    I loved Sharon Gless and Tyne Daly in Cagney & Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy always gets me dancing, even if it's only sitting on my chair. Your list of actresses could be mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Question, since the song today was Bette Midler how about her as an actress? Do you like her as an actress? FYI I have this song by Bette on a CD from the movie “For The Boys” which she starred in .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Question, since the song today was Bette Midler how about her as an actress? Do you like her as an actress? FYI I have this song by Bette on a CD from the movie “For The Boys” which she starred in .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Question, since the song today was Bette Midler how about her as an actress? Do you like her as an actress? FYI I have this song by Bette on a CD from the movie “For The Boys” which she starred in .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Question, Since today song was Bette Midler, how do you like her as an actress? I actually have this song you Bette on a CD that is from the soundtrack of the movie “For The Boys” in which she stars.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.