Saturday, January 02, 2021

Saturday 9: Feels like the First Time

Saturday 9: Feels like the First Time (1977)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Welcome to the first Saturday 9 of 2021! 

1) Look up from your screen. What's the first thing you see?

A. A card that says "No one can stop you but yourself," which my high school math teacher sent to me last year.

2) Looking back on 2020, what surprised you?

A. The selfishness of my fellow Americans surprised me. It shouldn't have, but it did. I had no idea so many people would walk right past someone dying and leave them there. Basically that is what someone who refuses to wear a mask for public health purposes is doing. Killing people because they have no time or empathy for anyone else. I don't see wearing a mask as being any different from signs that say "shirt & shoes required," wearing a seat belt, or stopping at stop signs. No one has the right to do things that infringe upon the health of others, and that is what not wearing a mask does.

3) Have you made any resolutions for 2021?

A. No. I know of some things I would like to achieve, but things are so unsettled right now I think it would be foolish to commit.

4) In Italy, it's said that if you wear red underwear on New Year's Eve, you'll have good luck all year around. Do you have a lucky charm?

A. I do not.

5) In Spain, some New Year's Eve revelers believe that, at the stroke of midnight, you should eat exactly 12 grapes, one at a time and one right after the other, to bring you luck for the next twelve months. Did you have anything special on your New Year's Eve menu?

A. No.

6) In this week's featured song, Foreigner lead singer Lou Gramm lets us know that he'd sail across a stormy sea to reach his true love. How is the weather where you are today? Are you kicking off 2021 under calm skies, or is it stormy?

A. It is raining and cold. It is a good day to stay inside and read a book.

7) In the 1990s, Gramm joined forces with Billy Joel in a series of concerts to preserve the Montauk Point Lighthouse. Do you have a favorite Billy Joel song?

A. Just the Way You Are



8) In 1977, when this song was popular, Star Wars was breaking all box office records. The Spy Who Loved Me, a James Bond movie, was also a hit. If you were going to binge on one of these film series, would you choose Star Wars or Bond?

A. Star Wars.

9) Random question: Would you rather have nothing but green lights for all of 2021, or never have to stand in line for anything all year?

A. I would rather never have to stand in line for anything all year, because that technically would also include sitting at red lights, wouldn't it? Besides, with Covid-19 still raging, I'd rather not be in a long line for anything.

 ______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. (#370)

10 comments:

  1. I have seen all the Star Wars movies and we watch the Mandalorian on Disney Plus. I don't have a problem wearing a mask and have several of them. My favorite one has Mickey and Minnie on it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good day to stay inside and read...right after I finish watching The Princess Bride and take down the Christmas decorations. I'm planning to do a lot of reading this year. Not a resolution, but a hope. I have 4 new books coming from Amazon in the next couple of days. Enjoy your weekend, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your answer to #2 disturbing, not only because I caught covid myself but because of two books I read. The first was about Jim Jones and Jonestown. The second is about Lee Harvey Oswald and his time in Russia. The people of Jonestown believed they were doing the right thing, and at first they were doing good, by following Jones. They didn't set out to join a destructive cult. Obviously, I see parallels to the gullible but well-meaning followers of QAnon who think they are *helping* their country. And I'm reminded that throughout Soviet Russia, the phrase "enemy of the people" was regularly used by the state to make those they found undesirable disappear. Do his supporters not know where Trump picked up that phrase? I keep waiting for my fellow citizens -- patriotic, I'm sure -- to snap out of it, the way we did in the 1950s when Joe McCarthy was finally repudiated. I have hopes that, when the SDNY reveals what the Trump Organization is trying so hard to hide, that some will get that bracing splash of cold water they finally need to open their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly I agree with you on #2.
    It seems like our country is being divided in half by those who only think of "me" and those who think of "us."

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS If your car is the only one, or the first one, stopped at the red light, would you still be "waiting in line?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised how polarized the country is on lots of things...masks being one of those things. I always wear a mask....at school I have a mask and a shield. I would also choose no lines for the same reason...covid, but I don't like lines without covid too. I can entertain myself in my car. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a hard time choosing one Billy Joel song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was hard to chose between songs for this artist. I finally settled on the one I did because it was a sort of love song for me.
    It's been shown in the numbers that they ones who gathered and didn't wear masks spread this virus like a wildfire. Selfishness, and an unparalleled hauteur amongst those that won't be having a government "official" tell them what to do, have cost us a lot of lives.
    Diana said it well. A division of those who think of ME and those who think of US.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re #2: PREACH SISTAH!

    I'd've liked to stay inside and read today but I had to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do share some of the same musical interest ... that is my favorite Billy Joel tune also. I worked the first Saturday of the new year and had a lovely dinner that evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.