Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Not Everything is Political

The discourse continues to be vulgar and dismaying.

This morning, the first entry on my Facebook feed came from author Nora Roberts decrying the awful comments on a post from yesterday, when she announced that Netflix was making a movie out of one of her books. The movie would star Alyssa Milano.

I don't know who Alyssa Milano is. I've heard the name but until I go look her up here in just a second, I am clueless.

She's 48 years old. I have not watched a single thing she's ever starred in. She comes up as a political activist and apparently has something to do with the "me too" movement in 2017. She campaigned for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and endorsed Joe Biden. Apparently she is therefore a bad person because she's a Democrat.

So, apparently, is Nora Roberts.

This is important, because we have all lost our way. Social media plays a big role in how we relate to one another today - not as human beings, but as blobs behind keyboards. We aren't looking one another in the eye to speak. We're casting about with our personal agonies being thrown against others, who actually have nothing whatsoever to do with whatever one might be feeling. We need to own our feelings and deal with it, internally and alone, not send that out in the world. The world didn't do whatever it is one thinks it did. The world simply is.

I read the comments on the announcement. It is the same stuff I see elsewhere on TV station news, the local papers, etc. "Libtards are bad and I will never watch this movie." Name calling from adults is so 2016. Isn't it time to grow up, at least a little?

Neither Nora Roberts nor Alyssa Milano knows the majority of the world, and have done nothing to engender such acrimony. If you disagree with either or both of them, keep it to yourself. That is what we used to do. You know, back when people actually spoke to one another.

I will let Ms. Roberts speak for herself here:

I’ve read many of the comments on Laura’s announcement of the Brazen Virtue adaption for Netflix, starring Allysa Milano. And I’m simply and sincerely appalled.

The vitriol, the hatred, the anger, the bitterness and the demands are astounding to me. 

. . . I keep politics off my pages. That’s my choice. Now many readers have dragged their own onto this page, so I’m going to state, for the record. I’m a liberal Democrat. always have been, always will be. And as one, I’ve always believed everyone has a right to their political beliefs, and has a right to express their opinions. But I don’t have to tolerate insults and ugliness on my page. 

For those who want to claim Freedom of Speech—look it up. This FB page isn’t the government. Some have comments on here using ‘liberal’ as a slur, an insult, equating it with communism. Others have used outright slurs against an actress, while claiming she should keep her opinions to herself. (No doubt those same people would be quick to assert their own First Amendment rights.)

Some will never read me again because Milano will headline this adaption. One reader stated she intended to BURN all my books in her collection for this choice of actress.

. . .

Over this past long, hard year, we’ve lost over 400,000 friends, loved ones, neighbors to COVID. We’ve been isolated from each other, and I for one yearn for the company of my pals again. I wonder, truly, why this grief, this hardship hasn’t taught so many of us we need each other. Instead, as illustrated by that comment section, it’s hardened far too many into an us and them mentality.

The viciousness I read in too many comments below hurts my heart. And realizing because I’m a liberal Democrat, many of those comments are directed at me for that reason alone is a real eye-opener.

Watch the movie when it comes out, or don’t. But lobbing nastiness at an actress or threatening me doesn’t do anything but illustrate your own limitations.

You go, Ms. Roberts.

 

5 comments:

  1. I still feel broken after four years of Trump, with his followers accusing everyone who didn't agree with them, and calling names. I know for sure our country is broken. And social media played right into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we all need to behave on social media. I say all because it is a 2-way street. Just as much nastiness comes from the left, aimed at those on the right. The world is a broken place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just once I'd like someone who makes that pronouncement direct me to a site that shows the left behaving so badly. Because I don't see it. Of course, I don't visit right-wing sites because of the vitriol is see there. Maybe people on the left visit those sites and spew it back. But I am not one of them.

      Delete
    2. I never thought you were one of them. I do see it, though. Even among friends on Facebook the sniping goes both ways. It's as you said, we've dehumanized the other side (whichever side we're on) and tend to lump them all together.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.