Saturday, December 12, 2020

Saturday 9: Santa Baby


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Madonna refers to Santa as "baby," "honey" and "cutie." What's the most recent endearment someone called you?

A. My husband calls me "sweetie pie."

2) At the top of her list are a fur coat, a new convertible and a yacht. If you could receive any of those luxury items, which would you choose?

A. The convertible.

3) She would like to decorate her tree with ornaments from Tiffany's. Do you have a favorite holiday ornament or decoration?

A. Yes. It is Santa Mouse. He has been around since before I was born. 



4) "Santa Baby" was written in 1953, before electronic payments. While her wish list includes blank checks, a 2017 survey revealed that 51% of consumers felt check writing was "a pain." Who received the last check your wrote? Who most recently gave you a check?

A. Someone who purchased hay from us.

5) Madonna has been a successful singer for decades, and 1985's "Into the Groove" is her top-seller. What's your favorite Madonna song?

A. I have never been a big Madonna fan. But I'll go with Like a Virgin since that's the first one that popped into my head.

6) Madonna was born in Bay City, MI, and traveled to New York City to find fame and fortune. When she first arrived, she supported herself by working at Dunkin' Donuts. What's your standard DD order?

A. I don't eat at Dunkin' Donuts. Those aren't real donuts. Those are cake-like things pretending to be donuts. Krispy Creme has real donuts.

7) The only Christmas card Sam has received so far this year is from her dentist. Have you received many cards this year?

A. I think I have received five. I remember back in the day when I received so many Christmas cards that I had them taped to the cabinets and then on a string that I hung over a door - more than 100 cards, for sure. I still send out about 50.

8) Will you wrap many presents? Or do you prefer to use gift bags?

A. I do both, although I am not a very good present wrapper. My husband does it better than I do.

9) Madonna recorded "Santa Baby" to benefit The Special Olympics. Here's your chance to plug a cause or organization that's near and dear to you.

A. I am going to go with the local food pantry. It is run by St. Marks Episcopal Church in Fincastle. It has been around for many years - I wrote stories on it in the 1990s. It serves a huge need, generally helping over 450 families a month. The church website has online donations available, and I urge anyone who wants to help their neighbors to offer up however much they can. Right now the food pantry is giving away food via automobiles, handing out boxes to vehicles, instead of letting folks go in and pick their food. Since that is the case, and the food pantry people know better than I what people may need, I find it makes more sense to give money and let the food pantry people make the purchases than to drop off items hither and yon that no one may want. I may like beets but that doesn't mean someone else wants to find them in their food box.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

 

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers today.
    Love your picture of your Santa Mouse, thanks for sharing.
    Have a good Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many hungry people these days.,,the food pantry must be very busy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kid sister grew up on the Santa Mouse book. I remember how excited she was when she saw the yellow ribbon and realized he'd been to our house.

    It's wonderful that you gave a shoutout to the food pantry! These are extraordinary times, and we have to look out for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Santa Mouse! So cute! I also love Krispy Kreme donuts better too. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egads! Another convertible fan,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krispy Kreme is not here in Northern Maine, so I have to make due with Dunkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the food banks are being overwhelmed this year. It is good to see how many donate or help out in some way.
    Oh, and I hate to say it, but I loathe Krispy Kreme donuts. All except for the custard filled...that's the only good KK. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yah, I’d take the car,too.
    The first donuts I ever made were cake ones in the 50’s with my mother’s friend. I’d stay over night with her because her hubby was military, posted away, and she was lonely. We made donuts one day.
    Here we used to have Can food drives with barrels at the front of stores for dropping canned goods for the drive. Now, we regularly donate money to the food bank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mouse is so cute! I use to send out about 75 cards each year on December first. Christmas cards decreased with the arrival of Facebook. So many things have changed because of Social Media. I still send out cards but I am way behind this year because I was sick. I like to include pictures with my cards. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.