Saturday, December 26, 2020

Saturday 9: Purple Snowflakes


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics ask where the snowflakes go. Sam can answer that: she shovels them! Do you shovel or use a snow blower? Or do you live in a warmer climate with no snow?

A. We shovel. Or rather, my husband does. If I catch it early enough, I sweep it away if it's a dry snow, but sometimes I couldn't keep up. I am lucky I have my husband to help me with such chores. He also uses a tractor and a plow for the driveway and the farm.

2) This week's artist, John Legend, recalls his Christmases growing up, singing carols with his family around the piano. Do you have a piano, or any other musical instruments, in your home?

A. I have 6 guitars, a guitelele (a combination of a guitar and ukulele), a ukulele, a folding electric piano, an harmonica, an ocarina, a dulcimer, and a new present, a Kalamba, which I will have to learn to play now. (It's a thumb piano.) I like making music.
 
3) This song is from John Legend's first Christmas album, A Legendary Christmas. It was a massive hit. Did you add any new music to your holiday collection this year?

A. I did not, but I listened to new music through Alexa.

4) John and his wife Chrissy Teigen go caroling with friends. What's the last song that you sang?

A. I was whistling Jingle Bells when I sat down to work on this blog entry. It is blowing snow outside; we woke to a white Christmas and I'm writing this on Christmas Day.

5) Chrissy's hobby is cooking. While she likes experimenting with new recipes, her young children prefer their familiar favorites, like mashed potatoes. She tosses a bay leaf into the water as the potatoes boil to add enhance the flavor. Do you have a dish that's considered your specialty?

A. I do not, although I make good fudge.

6) John prefers to unwind with a good book and loves comparing reading recommendations with friends. Did you discover any books in 2020 that you'd like to recommend to our Sat 9ers?

A. I discovered Melissa Caruso, a new fantasy author. I like her books. I also recommend Laini Taylor if fantasy is your genre.

7) This song was written by Motown powerhouse Marvin Gaye. Who is your favorite Motown artist?

A. Gosh, there are so many. I will go with the Commodores/Lionel Richie tied with Aretha Franklin.

8) In 1972, Marvin wrote another Christmas song, "I Want to Come Home for Christmas." He dedicated it to the troops then serving in Vietnam. Do you know anyone who is protecting us this holiday season? Tell us about him or her. Whether they are in the armed forces, the police or fire department, or the ER, we want to say thank you!

A. I know many firefighters who are on duty. My husband has retired after serving for 37 years, so he is home, but I spent many Christmas Days and other holidays without him when we were younger. Matt is a young firefighter who helps us out occasionally on the farm. I think he was proposing to his girl on Christmas Eve! We haven't heard if she said yes.

9) Random question: You go into the kitchen to make your perfect sandwich. What fixings do you need?

A. Two pieces of bread and egg salad. That's my perfect sandwich. Or if egg salad isn't available, then two pieces of bread, Miracle Whip, and a scrambled egg.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 


8 comments:

  1. My favorite snow is the snow I can sweep. We've been getting heavy, wet stuff this winter. Boo. Wow, I knew you played a couple of instruments but you are very multi-talented! I will count your fudge. My aunt was the family fudge maker and man, do I miss it at Christmas! Aww...I hope the young man's girl said yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for teaching me a new word: "guitelele."

    Fudge! Ah, a good fudge recipe is gold.

    Here's hoping she said yes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom makes the best egg salad. I finally asked her if she did something special to it, and she divulged that she puts a "dab" of anchovy paste. I certainly don't taste it, but dang, it is the BEST egg salad ever. She also does the same to the yolks when she makes deviled eggs. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had one snow so far. I hope we get more, but sometimes we get a snow in December and no more. That sandwich sounds good! I think I will be having a ham and cheese sandwich today. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had snow on Christmas and I had rain! Our snow is just about gone. Which is kind of too bad because I was going to try snowshoes during my holiday vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My uncle was a fireman and his two sons followed in his footsteps.
    That center photo in your banner reminds me of my skiing days, up on the mountain make the first run on the trackless snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could never get into Miracle Whip. I'm a Best Foods mayo person.

    If we could get your house with our house, we could have a pretty interesting band!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.