Saturday, December 05, 2020

Saturday 9: Feelin' Groovy

1) The bridge that inspired this song is The Queensboro Bridge in New York City. Are you near a bridge right now as you answer these 9 questions?

A. Not particularly close, no, and certainly not one with a real name. There is one that crosses Catawba Creek down the road a bit.
 
2) Paul Simon says he "loathes" this song and only performs it because fans want to hear it. What's your favorite Paul Simon song?

A. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard.
 
3) "Groovy" is such a 1960s word. What common word/phrase from 2020 do you predict will sound just as silly and quaint some day?

A. Hopefully "pandemic" but probably not. Maybe social distancing? I dislike that term anyway and use physical distancing instead.
 
4) Paul is a lifelong Yankees fan and was thrilled to meet his all-time idol, Joe DiMaggio. Mr. DiMaggio was, at first, less than thrilled to meet Paul because he thought the song "Mrs. Robinson" made fun of him. Once Simon convinced him it was an homage, the men got along fine. Do you have a celebrity encounter to tell us about?

A. Not really. I've mostly only met politicians.

5) Art Garfunkle was the other half of Simon and Garfunkle. Art and Paul met in sixth grade, when they were both in a school production of Alice in Wonderland. Tell us about one of your school theatrical appearances.

A. I played an angel in the second grade at Christmas. My lines were Luke 2:14 (KJV) "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." I remember my mother used a sheet to make me a white gown and some kind of tinsel to make a round thing over my head.

6) "Artie" used to love needling Paul about his height -- or lack thereof. He maintained he was trying to be funny, but Paul thought is was mean and says the constant digs hurt. Is there anyone in your life who similarly enjoys teasing?

A. Not at the moment.
 
7) Paul told NPR that his impulse to write new music has always come "in bursts." He'll go years without composing, and then he'll write every day for months. Do you often feel creative?

A. Yes, I do.
 
8) In 1966, when this song was popular, First Daughter Luci Johnson married Patrick Nugent. Their reception was held at the East Room of the White House. The couple had an 8 ft. tall wedding cake and when the bride threw her bouquet, it was caught by her sister, Lynda. Sure enough, Lynda married a year later. Tell us about a wedding you attended (or your own).

A. I will tell you about the ending of my own. We were at the country club, and we'd both changed into our "traveling clothes." I had on a maroon skirt with knee high black boots. We headed out the front door and ran right into my Uncle Lance, who was videotaping the wedding for us (so the tape ends with us crashing into him and the video spinning up in the air). The guys had messed up my car - they'd even roped the doors shut. We headed towards my car, where everyone was waiting, but at the last minute we veered to the right to my mother's vehicle. Everyone ran towards us, and one of my husband's friends grabbed me by the arm. My husband reared back with his fist and said, "Let her go!" and everyone backed away in a hurry. James hustled me into the car and we drove off, leaving my car for my brother to drive home after everyone else finished partying. I don't know what was the best part of that - Uncle Lance taking a dive or my new husband being willing to punch out a friend to get me out of there.
 
9) Random question: Which do you regret more -- the times you were cautious or the times your were reckless?

A. The times I was cautious, I think. Now I'm too old to be reckless.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

6 comments:

  1. Ha! Great wedding memories...and you have video evidence. :D When we went to the car I was still in my gown and the groomsmen chased us down to take one of my shoes. Seems someone thought of an old custom of passing the bride's shoe to take up a collection for the first baby's first pair of shoes. So off we went and I found myself in the lobby of the hotel in my gown and one shoe. The collection went well, from what I hear the baby could have had solid gold shoes...but one of the groomsmen used the money to take the wedding party out to the bars afterward, "his" treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun memories from your wedding. I am also too old to be reckless now, so I now have less regrets about it when I was young. I am kind of glad I had the chance to be reckless. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Me & Julio. He has certainly written a lot of earworm songs, hasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a fantastic wedding story. It's major motion picture film worthy!
    I'm with you about politicians. I've met a ton more of them than any celebrity actors.
    Your answer to the last question is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on "physical distancing" but I keep on slipping and using "Social distancing"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your wedding story. We just completed 46 years of marriage! I think physical distancing is a better word too. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.