Saturday, November 21, 2020

Saturday 9: Walking on Broken Glass


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Annie sings that she feels she's walking on broken glass. What's the most recent item you broke?

A. One of my Corelle plates that came with me when I married. I have one of them left.




2) She sings about being cut until she bleeds. Tell us about a time you needed stitches.

A. I had thing cut out of my lip called a mucus cell. It was very painful and involved stitches in my lip. I remember I kept working, and I had to go to daycare center to take pictures for a news story. The little boys could not stop staring at my lip. The editor wanted to put the reason for their looks of fascination in the cut line of the picture, and I objected, but he did it anyway. I showed a picture last week but here it is again.




3) This week's featured artist, Annie Lennox, was born on Christmas Day. Do you know anyone whose birthday falls on a holiday?

A. I know folks whose birthdays are close to holidays, and one person born on February 29. But not anyone whose birthday actually falls on the holiday.

4) When Annie met Dave Stewart, with whom she'd form the duo The Eurthmyics, she was living in Australia and staying in a tiny apartment called a bedsit. The occupant has his/her own combination bedroom/living room with cooking facilities, but must share a bathroom. Tell us about one of your early apartments.

A. When we first married, we lived in a small four-room  house - basically a living room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom, with a half-cellar under it. It was not well-insulated and was incredibly cold in the winter, and the only place to put the washing machine and dryer was in the half-cellar which could only be reached by going outside and then down a short flight of steps. We stayed there 7 months, and then moved.

5) After the Eurythmics broke up, Annie went out on her own. Would you rather work independently, or as part of a group?

A. Independently.

6) Among her many honors, Annie Lennox was named chancellor of Scotland's Glasgow Calledonia University. What's the last college campus you visited? What brought you there?

A. That would have been Roanoke College, when I went to see my nephew graduate, and one summer we went to Virginia Tech to see the memorial to the 32 people who died in a shooting there. I can't remember the years. I may have been back to my own alma mater's campus since then, but details are sketchy in my mind.

Memorial at Virginia Tech



7) In 1992, the year this song was recorded, compact discs outsold cassette tapes for the first time. Back in the day, did you enjoy making your own mix tapes?

A. A very long time ago, I listed to the American Top 40 Countdown and made tapes.

8) Also in 1992, Johnny Carson made his last appearance as host of The Tonight Show.  The catchphrase, "Here's Johnny!" was associated with the show. Can you think of another popular TV catchphrase?

A. "Be kind to one another," which I think is Ellen Degeneres phrase at the end of her shows. And then of course, there was, "Here's your host, Alex Trebek!" of Jeopardy! Pancreatic cancer sucks.
 
9) Random question: Think of your past week. Now look ahead to the coming week. Would you like it to be more, or less, exciting?

A. I've been sick (not Covid) and we're not doing anything except staying home. It would be nice to have an outing, but we're not going anywhere. I mean, who would want to leave this view, anyway?




______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

7 comments:

  1. Hope you get to feeling better!
    I enjoyed your answers CountryDew.
    Have a great Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to both campuses you mention!

    For some reason I was stumped on catchphrases, but as I visit others' blogs, they're popping into my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of Jeopardy, it's that little bit of music that's played while the contestants are writing their final questions. And now it's going through my head,:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss our lake cottage, you walk out the back door and there was the lake and mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon! As long as you can get outside at your property, I agree...who needs to go anywhere? That is beautiful! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. With that view, I would stay home, too! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
    I'm sorry you are sick but so VERY glad it isn't the deadly Plague from Hell.
    I couldn't think of the catch phrases, except for one.
    I used to listen to Kasey Kasem's Top 40 all through the to the 70 and 80's. I could still Sing and dance and had a lot of moves back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always had Corelle dishes because they are so hard to break, but man, when they do break...they don't break, they SHATTER into a million little slivers! I usually pick up more pieces at yard sales, auctions and things like that so I have lots of spares. I've done that with my china, too. So much so that I had to quit buying because the china cabinet is at its limit...and we rarely use it these days. I hope you have a blessed, peaceful Thanksgiving enjoying your beautiful view.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.