Saturday, November 07, 2020

Saturday 9: For All We Know


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about newlyweds looking ahead to a happy life together. What are you looking forward to today?

A. I am not a newlywed and my husband and I are old. Mostly we look forward to actually waking up in the mornings.

2) They look forward to getting to know one another better. Tell us about someone who knows you well. Is it the person who has known you the longest?

A. My brother knows me better than most people. We have all that childhood stuff together, and he reads my blog. He's attentive. He doesn't always listen, but he seems to hear what is most important.

3) The song lyrics are credited to "Robb Wilson" and "Arthur James," but those aren't their real names. Robb Royer and Jimmy Griffin were founding members of the 70s soft-rock group Bread. Are you familiar with that band? If so, do you have a favorite Bread song? (Find their greatest hits here.)

A. I've always been a big Bread fan. Here's me playing my favorite Bread song. Probably not one of my performances, but it was a get-through-the-summer thing:


4) Richard Carpenter discovered this song on his afternoon off when he and sister Karen were on tour. He took a few hours to unwind at  the movies, heard this song in the film Lovers and Other Strangers, and decided it would make a perfect Carpenters record. How do you like to unwind?

A. Read a book.

5) Karen Carpenter drank unsweetened iced tea, every day, all year long. Do you prefer your tea hot or cold? 

A. I drink a cup of hot tea every morning. Otherwise, I drink only water, with an occasional exception of a ginger ale or root beer.

6) Elvis was a fan of Karen's and, according to the recollection of singer Petula Clark, hit on her when she and Clark visited him backstage in Vegas. Pet recalled Karen was very innocent and said, "I felt responsible for her so I got her out of there." Tell us about a time when you looked out for a friend.

A. I haven't seen anyone in months. If nagging my husband to do things to help out my mother-in-law counts, then that. He doesn't pay attention when she mentions she's having trouble with certain things, so I see a solution when I learn of an issue, and then nag him until he fixes it. Case in point: handrails on the steps leading up to the house. Just two steps, but the handrails made a big difference to her. We gave her a couple of Alexa dots to put throughout the house so that if she fell, she at least could shout "Alexa, call . . . " somebody. I recently found out Alexa won't call emergency, which seems stupid, so I've been trying to talk my husband into talking her into getting one of those "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" things. We only live 3 minutes away and we check on her twice a day, but a lot can happen in just a few minutes.

7) President Richard Nixon was a Carpenters fan, too, and invited the duo to perform at the White House at an official dinner for West German Chancellor Willy Brandt. If you could hear anyone perform live in an intimate setting, like a dinner party, who would you choose?

A. I was supposed to see Melissa Etheridge perform live last March, but the show was cancelled and then rescheduled and cancelled again, and now appears to be in a state of permanent postponement, so I'll go with Melissa Etheridge. I've watched many of her online performances during this crazy year, and she has a wonderful outlook on life, signing off with "Speak True, Choose Only Love, It's a Choice," a sentiment I agree with. Plus I lust after her guitar collection.

8) Today Richard collects classic automobiles. He has a 1964 Ford Thunderbird, like the one Beach Boys sang about in the song "Fun, Fun, Fun." Can you think of another song that mentions a car?

A. Fast Car, by Tracy Chapman. Nowhere to Go, by Melissa Etheridge.

9) Random question: Do you tend to feel more content at the beginning of the day, or at the end?

A. I feel most content around 3 p.m., when my chores are done, my husband isn't home yet, and my time is own.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

10 comments:

  1. #6 certainly does count! It's easier to prevent a fall than recover from one. I have an Alexa dot right over my shoulder and I had no idea she wouldn't call 911 for me. Thanks for cluing me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers today.
    Have a good Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband's aunt had one of those call necklaces. It was a godsend when she really needed it. The company she used the names of 2 or 3 people who lived near (5 minutes away or less) and had a key. Those people would be notified along with the emergency people so someone would be with her very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading books too! Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents each have the life alert necklaces. It's peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you were going to put playing your guitar as a way to unwind. That is good that you are close to your brother! I like your header. Are those pictures from your property?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The barn is not ours, it is down the street. Everything else is from our farm.

      Delete
  7. I really love Tracy Chapman. And that song is one of her best. The rhythms in her voice....
    Your answer to Question 1.. Oh ya. You two are not alone in this feeling.
    My sister and I are pretty close, but covid has really pushed the window. Blew it out actually.
    That's a beautiful "Bread" song. They had some great stuff, and that's one of them. You can still play and sing. Sweet indeed! Take care Luv. Breathe in and out.. and keep doing it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand about Melissa Ethridge, I was supposed to see Billy Joel in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like her music and I believe the Melissa Etheridge quote to be very wise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.