Saturday, October 17, 2020

Saturday 9: Vision of Love

Saturday 9: Vision of Love (1990)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics refer to "sweet destiny." Do you believe in destiny?

A. Not really. I think some people are born into families that lead them into certain directions - father to son trades, for example, or the woman who becomes a lawyer like her mother. But that's not destiny, those are environmental forces placed upon a person.

2) This week's artist, Mariah Carey, has something to fall back on. She studied cosmetology and worked as a hair sweeper in a salon. When you get your hair cut, do you socialize with the stylist?

A. My stylist is new, so I have asked her a few questions, like where she's from, etc., but mostly not. Especially in these days of Covid, the less said, the better.
 
3) She isn't likely to turn to cosmetology any time soon. Mariah is currently on the best seller list with her autobiography, The Meaning of Mariah Carey. Was the last book you finished fiction or non-fiction?

A. The last nonfiction book I finished was called The True Secret of Writing by Natalie Goldberg. I am currently reading All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr, which is fiction.

4) So far, more than 800 people have reviewed Mariah's book on Amazon. Do you review products/services online?

A. Sometimes. It's not a habit.

5) When she was a high school student, she was nicknamed "Mirage" because she skipped class so often. Did you ever play hooky?

A. Yes. Once several of my friends and I slipped off after lunch and went to the movies. We went to see The Rose.

6) Mariah doesn't apologize for spoiling her dogs, who have been known to travel by limo. Do you know anyone who treats their pets like people?

A. Everyone I know who has a pet treats their pet better than they do other people.

7) In 1990, the year this song was popular, Martina Navratilova won the Wimbledon Women's Singles Tournament. How's your tennis game?

A. I do not play tennis.

8) Also in 1990, Pope John Paul II toured Mexico. Have you ever visited our neighbor south of the border?

A. I have not. However, there used to be a carnival like thing called South of the Border in South Carolina that we would stop at when we went to the beach. I am not sure it still exists.

9) Random question(s): There are Gofundme campaigns for many purposes. Have you ever solicited funds online? Would you?

A. I have never solicited funds online, although I have been paid for work through Paypal. I do not think I would solicit funds online, but maybe if I had a project I believed in and no money to follow it through, I would consider it. It's hard to say.


Here's a question for my readers: what do you think is a fair price to pay for a print edition of a 24-page daily newspaper?

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

9 comments:

  1. I like your answer to #8. I think I'd enjoy that better than a trip to Mexico. (I have a very sensitive stomach.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed all of your answers today.
    Have a great Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure South of the Border is still there. I loved reading their billboards on the drive down I95. The last time I was there it was pretty much a shadow of its former self, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We seem to not be tennis enthusiasts.
    I only get the digital of the Hartford Courant, I used to get the printed version. One rainy day staring out at the newspaper box and realizing that I haven't gone outside in 3 days to get the paper I dropped the printed version.
    I get a town newspaper for free every week and it is delivered by mail, it is about 24 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been so long since I bought a newspaper in a machine that I don't have a clue how much it costs. We get ours delivered and I never see the bill, so I don't know how much we are paying!

    In California Mexican shops and restaurants are everywhere, so Tijuana wasn't that much different, except for the beggars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved All the light We Cannot See! I hope you enjoy it. I am wanting to read Anxious People by Fredrik Backman same author of A Man Called Ove. I would recommend that one too. I would not recommend the one I wrote about today for you. I don't think it is your cup of tea. I wanted to tell you that Fannie Flagg has a new book coming out..a follow up to Fried Green Tomatoes if you liked that one...it is called The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. South of the Border...we stopped there a few years ago. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're enjoying All The Light We Cannot See--I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea how much a paper cost these days. The book you mentioned seems interesting. I read about it at Amazon. If we go into lockdown again, I may see if I can get it from the library. One of my favorite books is The Hiding Place. Last January we got to see the exhibit of it at the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles. It was the same day that Kobe Bryant died. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.