Sunday, August 30, 2020

Sunday Stealing


1. Who is the hottest celebrity you can think of?

A. I don't know. I don't keep up with things like that.

2. Do you ever get so nervous that you can't even think?

A. Yes.

3. Do you sing when there is no music?

A. Yes.

4. Who was the best political leader in history and why?

A. I don't know about best, but let's learn something today.

Aung San Suu Kyi, (June 19, 1945-) is a Burmese opposition politician, the 1991 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize and the daughter of Aung San, considered to be the father of modern-day Burma. He negotiated the nation's independence from the British Empire in 1947. Since the 1980s, she has led a non-violent resistance against Burma’s repressive military regime – and as a result has spent years under house arrest. In the 1990 general election, her National League for Democracy party won 59 percent of the national vote and 81 percent of the seats in Parliament – but Burma’s military dictators chose to ignore the elections. Although she has remained out of public sight for years, she has led a quiet democratic resistance. She received the Andre Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought in 1990 and the Jawaharlal Nehru Award for International Understanding by the government of India in 1992. One of her most famous speeches is the "Freedom From Fear" speech, which begins: "It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it." She also believes fear spurs many world leaders to lose sight of their purpose. "Government leaders are amazing," she once said. "So often it seems they are the last to know what the people want."

5. If you could dance with anyone in the world right now, who would it be and what song would you dance to?

A. I would dance with my husband to Longer by Dan Folgerburg.

6. Finish this sentence your own way. There are two types of people in the world...

A. Those who think first and then react, and those who react and never think.

7. What have you saved since elementary school?

A. I have a silver dollar my grandfather gave me.

8. Have you ever won an award?

A. I have won a number of awards for writing.

9. Do you feel more connected to the sun or the moon?

A. The moon.

10. Do flaws make people interesting to you?

A. Everyone is flawed. Some flaws are simply more visible than others.

11. Who is your favorite historical figure?

A. It's a three-way tie between Joan of Arc, Queen Victoria, and Mary, Queen of Scots.

12. White bread or wheat bread?

A. Whole-wheat white bread.

13. Do you usually do things fast or right?

A. I try to do them right.

14. Are you or have you ever been in a band?

A. Yes.

15. Here are 4 statements about me. Only one of them is true. Which one is it?

A. That's only two sentences and a question. I have no idea what this means.

16. Would you wear a thong bathing suit in public?

A. No. I wouldn't wear one in private, either.

17. Have you thought about death today?

A. Yes.

18. What is your favorite breakfast?

A. Bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy, and grits.

19. Are you the life of the party?

A. No.

20. If you hit an animal with your car would you get out to try and make sure it was okay?

A. That depends on the situation. If it is a tame animal, like a dog or cat, I would (and have). If it is a wild animal, generally they run off, especially the deer. I have hit several deer and sometimes they simply glance off the car, leaving a nice dent, and then vanish. I brake for squirrels and rabbits and try not hit anything.

21. When do you get your most peaceful and satisfying sleep?

A. When I'm asleep.

22. What thought gets you out of bed in the morning?

A. I have stuff to do.

23. What are you a member of?

A. The local historical society and a book club.
 
24. Name one place you refuse to ever go.

A. I would say somewhere where there is no war, but I suspect I live in a place that is constantly at war with everyone around it and within itself, so that's out.

25. When (and if) people (or animals) go to heaven, do they become angels?

A. I leave that to each individual to decide.

________________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed my visit here tonight Anita. Interesting about the woman that won the peace prize. I would say that fear along with insecurity can cause big problems! You either take your self down or you take others down and sometimes both! Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did learn something. I'd never heard of the woman you wrote about. She sounds like a pretty amazing person. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CountryDew: I enjoyed all of your answers today!
    Have a great Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of that Burmese politician, but thanks for sharing. Her quotes about fear are regretfully timely.

    I read a lot about Mary, Queen of Scots when I was a young girl. I thought about her mostly in terms of Darnley vs. Bothwell, because as a teenager I just loved big romance. I should revisit her now that I've matured (at least a little).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been reminded of Aung San Suu Kyi in ... well, a long time! I remember her getting the Peace prizes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information about Burma, but this quote "Burma’s military dictators chose to ignore the elections." is terrifying, for obvious reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. #8 - That's impressive. I'd like to do that.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answer to #4! I did not know about her. I also love Queen Victoria and I almost picked her to write about. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joan of Arc is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you would refuse t go somewhere with no war?
    Several of your answers made me chuckle, and I got to learn more about you! I used to work for historic Annapolis archeology lab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would refuse to go somewhere where there IS war. But I think we are living in war now. Perhaps I was unclear in that response.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.