Saturday, August 29, 2020

Saturday 9: Buttered Popcorn

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?

A. Buttered, please. Thank you, Sam.

2) This record represents the Supremes as they are seldom heard. Florence Ballard is singing lead, with background vocals provided by Mary Wilson, Barbara Martin and Diane Ross. That's right, "Diane." Her parents meant for her to be named "Diane," and that's what old friends and family still call her, but the hospital mistakenly put her name down as "Diana." Motown execs thought "Diana Ross" had a better sound and the rest, as they say, is history. Do you often make typos? Or are you careful and precise at the keyboard?

A. I am less careful than I used to be. Spell check has spoiled me.

3) Barbara Martin left the Supremes in 1962, before they reached stardom, because she was a new mom and wanted to stay home with her baby. Have you ever found yourself in the difficult position of having to choose between your personal and professional lives?

A. Yes. As a news reporter, I made it a point not to become friendly with people I would have to write about, such as supervisors or other public figures. However, sometimes I have become friends with people after a story has finished.

4) Florence Ballard's cousin, Hank, wrote the famous Chubby Checkers dance record, "The Twist." When did you last get on your feet and dance?

A. The other day. I was trying to move around and make my lymph glands work better. I was hoping to remove stagnant chi.

5) Mary Wilson stayed with the group until it disbanded in 1977. She has said that one of her most memorable moments came in 1968, when the group performed for Princess Margaret. Mary recalled that the Princess loudly asked if Mary's hair was real or a wig. Mary was shocked, expecting better behavior from a royal. Tell us a time when someone's behavior shocked you.

A. The other day, someone said something about my hair. I noted that it is rather fine, and she said, "Oh, I thought it would be really coarse." I was taken aback by that, but I did not respond.

6) In 1961, when this song was released, the TV show Hazel premiered and was a top 5 hit for NBC. Oscar winner Shirley Booth played the title character, a very capable and lovable maid. If Crazy Sam could have a maid for just a few hours today, she'd love to have her refrigerator cleaned and kitchen cabinets organized. If you could have a pair of helping hands around your house this afternoon, what would you ask the maid to do?

A. Clean up my husband's office, including the closets. That is where we store things like the Christmas decorations, etc., and everything in that room needs a thorough going-over.

7) Also in 1961, President John F. Kennedy appeared on the cover of Time as their Man of the Year. Are there any magazines in your home right now? If so, who is on the cover?

A. I think there's an AARP magazine here with Alan Alda on the cover.

8) Ernest Hemingway died in 1961. Have you read any of his works?

A. Yes, but it has been a while.

9) Random question: How many pancakes are in the perfect stack?

A. Three.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however. 

8 comments:

  1. #2 Sometimes I murder the spelling so bad that the spell checker goes "Hun?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been tough, especially writing for a local paper, to not be friendly with subjects. I'm sure you did a great job of it, though. No question of integrity with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Alan Alda is your officemate, too! Really, I've got to either read that magazine or toss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think people even think before they speak. You can see this is an issue for me. It makes me mad that people are so careless with their words. Loved you answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was offered the job of theater critic about 10 years before I actually took it. I turned the offer down because too many friends were in a local theater company which thought itself wonderful, and I knew their performances were not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe spell check is why my typing has gotten so poor over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spell Check is both a boon and a bane, that's for certain.
    Your hair does look rather fine. And soft.
    A stack of three pancakes is perfect! I like mine with butter and strawberry jam.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.