Saturday, August 08, 2020

Saturday 9: Mad About You

 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Mad About You was a sitcom that ran from 1992 to 1999. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan?

A. I watched it occasionally. It wasn't something I made a point of seeing.

2) The show was rebooted in 2019/2020 on the Spectrum streaming service. Do you have any streaming services? If so, which ones?

A. I have Amazon Prime, which I guess is a streaming service. However, I have DSL for my internet, and that's a slow connection. I seldom attempt to watch TV using it.

3) The series revolved around Manhattan newlyweds Paul and Jamie Buchman. They met at a newsstand, where they were both purchasing The New York Times. With so many publications online, newsstands are now uncommon. When you want to purchase a printed newspaper or magazine, where do you go?

A. I usually pick something up at the grocery store, although I haven't since the pandemic.

4) Paul is played by Paul Reiser. He created the series because he believes marriage is a tough but satisfying adventure. He and real-life wife Paula have been married for more than 30 years. They met when she was a waitress at the comedy club where he was performing. Have you ever waited tables?

A. I have never waited tables. I did, however, serve as kitchen help and may have waited tables when I worked for Camp Fincastle (a church camp) when I was about 13. I really don't remember. I always forget I did that.

5) Helen Hunt won four Emmy Awards as Jamie. Over 10 million people watch the Emmys each year. She also won an Oscar, which has an annual viewership of twice that. Therefore huge audiences witnessed Helen's acceptance speeches. Are you comfortable speaking in public?

A. Not particularly. One of the reasons I keep doing the music videos and putting them on my blog on Tuesdays is to try to get better at being in public. I found that the camera acts as "the public" so I am trying to move out of my comfort zone and do better by making these videos.

6) During the opening credits, Paul and Jamie are sharing an ice cream bar. When did you most recently have ice cream?

A. I had frozen yogurt earlier today. Otherwise, I do not eat ice cream.

7) Paul and Jamie's best friends were another couple, Fran and Mark. Eventually Fran and Mark divorced, and Paul and Jamie worked at being friends with both of them. Have you been friends with a couple who split? Did you manage to stay friends with both of them?

A. I have been friends with a couple who split, and I am no longer friends with either person. One moved away. The other is still the area but I haven't seen him in years.

8) In 1992, when Paul and Jamie were playing New Yorkers, real New Yorkers were following the trial of mobster John Gotti. Mr. Gotti acquired many nicknames, including The Teflon Don, The Dapper Don and Black John. Is there anyone in your life that you call by a pet name or nickname?

A. My husband, whom I call by various and sundry pet names, and my brother, who goes by the nickname of "Diddle."  He received that name when he was quite young and liked to be tickled. He'd go around saying, "Tickle tickle little Loren (that's his real name)" but it came out "Diddle diddle little Loren" so eventually he became "Diddle." These days, I generally call him "Bro," though.

9) Random question  -- What subject do you wish you knew more about?

A. I wish I knew more about geology. I always found rocks fascinating when I was a child, and once considered pursuing it, but I did not. I also wish I knew more about astronomy.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe I should look into frozen yogurt. Haven't tried it in years, but it's certainly better for me than the frozen treats currently in my freezer drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reason for doing the music videos is awesome! I don't think I could do it. Plus we get to hear your music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geology and astronomy are both super interesting! Good choices! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.