Saturday, June 20, 2020

Saturday 9: Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast

Saturday 9: Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast (1972)

. . . Because it's Father's Day weekend.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a little girl who runs after her daddy. When is the last time you ran? Were you trying to get somewhere in a hurry, or playing a sport?

A. Bwahhahaha. Me, run? I can't remember the last time I ran. Trotted a little bit, maybe.

2) This song was a top ten hit for Wayne Newton. Mr. Newton is better known for his TV work, having made more than 150 appearances since 1963. Have you ever been on TV? Or in a YouTube video?

A. I have been on TV. I was interviewed in a news story a year or two ago, and when I was a teenager I appeared on a Saturday morning show where we used puppets and spoke Spanish. I have been in youtube videos that I have made. You can see me playing my guitar and singing if you go back a few days.

3) The road leading to Las Vegas' McCarran International Airport is named Wayne Newton Blvd. in his honor. When is the last time you were at an airport? Were you flying somewhere, picking someone up, or dropping them off?

A. I haven't been to an airport in several years, and I would have been picking up my husband from a business trip.

4) Wayne says Elvis Presley haunts Las Vegas, and believes that The King of Rock and Roll has given him performing and parenting tips from beyond the grave. When did you last see Elvis? On TV, on a t-shirt, poster or magazine cover, or as a ghostly apparition?

A. Wow. That one took me by surprise. I can't remember when I last saw Elvis. Maybe on one of those "let's sell old music" shows that Time Life puts on, perhaps. A few years ago, I bought my dad a bunch of Elvis stamps. He likes Elvis.

5) When Sam walks with her own dad, the problem isn't that he walks fast. It's that he's always stopping to pick up litter he finds on the grass. Litterbugs are his pet peeve. What's your pet peeve?

A. I can only have one? There are so many. I dislike it when people smoke at the doorways of places. The whole point of not having smoking inside is so people don't have to smell secondhand smoke. This is negated if you can't walk into the place without being enveloped in a cloud of nicotine.

6) Sam's own father often traveled for business, and always gave her the complimentary soaps, shampoos or body lotion he got from the hotel. When she went away to college, she used her collection of little bottles and was grateful for all the money they saved her. What's something you've done recently to economize?

A. I've started freezing food, especially meat. I used to purchase things fresh every week but now that I am not shopping as frequently, I am buying in bulk and freezing.

7) It was her father who taught Sam to drive. Are you a better student or teacher?

A. I think I am a better student than a teacher.

8) Sam's father also always asks if her car in "tip top" condition. Most recently he reminded her to test her headlights, tail lights and turn signals while the car is parked to make sure they're all working. Do you have a car maintenance tip to share?

A. Get a husband and let him take care of it. Otherwise, know what how to find the owner's manual for your vehicle so you can figure out what the strange little lights on the dashboard are.

9) Sam's father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. Do you usually enjoy a between meal snack?

A. I do. Sometimes it is healthy, most times, not so much.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

9 comments:

  1. So you are a TV star! Oh I agree about the smoker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Those strange little lights on the dash are something else. I called my husband many years ago to ask what the light that looked like a person with their arms up in the air meant. Turns out it was supposed to look like a flat tire. After learning that, I guess it sort of did, but I still think it looks more like a person, or maybe a Muppet, flailing their arms around in panic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers today.
    Have a good Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that wearing a mask all the time would mitigate the smoke smell. I'm sad to say it doesn't.

    So Elvis doesn't perch on your shoulder while you play? The Wayne Newton video I found while researching this was really campy. He welled up when he talked about seeing Elvis all the time. I suspect he just says he does so he can be included in TV shows about Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh smoke is so gross. My mom was a smoker when I was a kid. She quit when Josh was little, but it is so gross. I agree. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. You and I have the same car tip.

    Loved being able to watch you play/sing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh at #8 because the only times I wish I was married are when there's something car-related that I would prefer someone else take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive enjoyed your songs :) Yup they can go elsewhere to smoke!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.