Saturday, May 30, 2020

Saturday 9: Uncle Albert

Saturday 9: Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us Paul believes it's going to rain. How's the weather where you are today?

A. Hot and humid.

2) Paul sings that he is sorry because he hasn't "done a bloody thing all day." What do you hope to accomplish this weekend?

A. My husband will be cutting hay, so I will be taking care of him and the house.

3) He also references butter pie, which is made primarily with potatoes (with onions and, of course, butter). That dish is not popular on this side of the Atlantic. Last time you had potatoes, how were they prepared (baked, mashed, hash browned, french fried ...)?

A. I had French fries at lunch the other day.

4) Linda McCartney is credited as co-writer and performer on this recording. Paul and Linda were partners in real life, too; married 29 years, they raised four children together. They often said they tried never to spend more than a few hours apart. Do you enjoy a lot of togetherness, or do you value your personal time? Has your experience with Covid19 and quarantine changed how you feel about this?

A. I value my personal time. My husband recently retired so we are figuring it out. Fortunately we have a big farm where he can go get lost if I need him to, and I have my office and it has a door. I don't think our experience with Covid 45 has really been a problem, except I can't run off to the grocery store whenever I feel like it.

5) Paul and Linda came from very different backgrounds. His family was lower middle class, lived in Liverpool's public housing and received government aid. She grew up in affluent Scarsdale, the daughter of a wealthy theatrical attorney. Do you think it's more important for a couple to share a common background, or to share common interests?

A. I think it helps to have common interests and a common background. We have both, although we're a little short on the common interests. He works with his hands and I read.

6) Paul is known for his work ethic. At age 78, he's still making music and performing live. What's your favorite Paul McCartney song?

A. Band on the Run.

7) In 1971, when this song was a hit, Bobby Fischer was the world's most famous and highest-rated chess player. Do you play chess?

A. I play but not very well. I haven't played in a long time.

8) England's Princess Anne turned 21 in 1971. The occasion was commemorated by a formal portrait, taken by celebrated fashion photographer Norman Parkinson. Who took the most recent photo of you?

A. I think I took a selfie of my husband and me in our masks for a cousin who asked for one.

9) Random question: Do you find it more satisfying to work with your hands, or your head?

A. With my head. I like a little hand jive every now and then, though. I couldn't play my guitar without my hands.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

6 comments:

  1. Tim and I have common backgrounds and then not so much in the interests. It works most of the time, but during the period we were both stuck at home it would have been nice to share a bit more there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like, with the farm, you can get enough alone time and enough togetherness

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Band on the Run" is a good choice. It's a fun song that takes a lot of twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard "Band on the Run" in a long time--so I remedied that from your suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can do without humidity. It is going to be hot and humid here next week, but this weekend...mid 70's and no humidity. I am spending the day outside. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a fan of humidity at all It's 80 here today but relatively nice out! so I am a happy camper.,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.