Saturday, April 25, 2020

Saturday 9: All Right

Saturday 9: All Right (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it
here.

1) This song has an optimistic message about love: "It gets tough sometimes, but you can give it one more try . . ." Do you tend to take an optimistic look at life?

A. I am a glass is half-full kind of girl. I try to be realistic which leans toward pessimism, I'm afraid.

2) In this song, Christopher Cross sings, "Time and time again I see people so unsure like me . . ." Tell us about a recent time when your confidence could have used a boost.

A. When I was initially caring for my husband after his surgery in November, it was so difficult to take care of his needs. Then I got sick as well with a respiratory thing. I felt like I couldn't do anything right.

3) The Doobie Bros.' Michael McDonald plays on this record. Do you have a favorite Doobie Bros. song?

A. China Grove. Or maybe Long Train Runnin'. Or Ol' Blackwater. One of those three.

4) Though no longer making hits, Christopher Cross still has loyal fans who attend his concerts. Time permitting, he spends time after each show signing autographs. Have you ever asked a celebrity for his/her autograph?

A. Not in a very long time. I have two pictures here that are supposedly autographed, one of Bonnie Raitt and the other is of Charlie Sheen before he went totally nuts. I've had them a good 25 years or more.


Bonnie Raitt (left) and Charlie Sheen. I have no idea if the autographs are original. I won them in a contest in the early days of the Internet.


5) Christopher Cross' dad was an Army doctor stationed at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, DC. With all the museums and monuments, our nation's capital could be a great place for a kid to grow up . . . except sometimes we take the advantages of our hometown for granted. Tell us about a nearby museum, park, theater, etc., you'll visit again when this period of crisis is over and it's agreed that it's safe to do so.

A. We have a walking trail called the Cherry Blossom Trail that is a nice walk. It is not closed to the public (I don't think), but I have heard that the city folks are using it so much that it is full of people because the city closed the greenway because so many people were on it. What part of "stay home" and "stay six feet away" do people not get?

6) In 1983, when "All Right" was popular, Flashdance was a hit in movie theaters and on the radio. What's the most recent movie you watched? Most recent song you heard on the radio?

A. The most recent movie I watched was Despicable Me, and the most recent song I heard on the radio was To Live Like You Were Dying.

7) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off, flying between Las Vegas and Phoenix. They went nationwide in 2005 after they merged with US Airways. In 2013, they merged again, this time with American Airlines. Do you collect miles in an airline loyalty program?

A. No. I don't fly.

8) Super Mario Bros. debuted in 1983. Can you name gaming's most famous siblings?

A. Um. No. Do you mean video game siblings, or gaming like tennis, as in the Williams sisters?

9) Random question -- Under hypnosis, you discover you lived three past lives. In the first, you were wealthy beyond your wildest imaginings, thanks to a loveless marriage. In the second, you were a star on the roller derby circuit who had earned the nickname "Smasher." In the third, you were a brilliant mathematician who worked your way through school as an exotic dancer. Which of these would you find most shocking?

A. I don't find any of them shocking. After recent current events, I don't find too much shocking anymore.

______________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

8 comments:

  1. I have an autographed picture of Michael Damian and a T-shirt that he signed. He was on The Young and The Restless and I thought he was so cute. Of course, I was an early teen and so going to meet him was such a huge moment in my life. I won a shirt that a local radio station was giving out and I asked him to sign it. I was on top of the world. I still have that shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about recent events leaving you kind of numb to shock. This whole thing has really raised the bar on the old shock-o-meter. I was surprised this week, when PA started sharing a map of the counties with the number of cases in each town in a county, to find that my town has more active cases than any other town in our county, but we also have more nursing homes than any other town I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel about current events and not being surprised by anything. This is all so weird. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go walking on the rails-to-trails all the time and so far it hasn't been crowded. The greenway runs along side of the Quinnipiac river.
    https://www.traillink.com/trail/quinnipiac-river-gorge-trail/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your answer to #9. Have a cup of Lysol and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't flown in a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie Sheen looks so old-school glam in that shot. Wish he'd just said no to all the toxic stuff he so eagerly said yes to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha! Roller derby is most unlike me... I'd fall and be responsible for the demise of all the skaters!
    I like any and ALL doobie brothers songs... thanks for reminding me. I hear you about the shocking... wow I can't believe the gullibility of some people to give loyalty to a person who is only out for their own good. Oy vey... yet I am constantly shocked still by that

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.