Saturday, November 02, 2019

Saturday 9: The Addams Family

Saturday 9: The Addams Family (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) One of TV's spookiest families was inspired by a series of New Yorker cartoons. What's the last magazine you flipped through?


A. Reader's Digest. Except I do not flip through that magazine, I read it cover to cover.

2) The Addams' butler, Lurch, was originally conceived as a mute. But then actor Ted Cassidy ad libbed the line, "You rang?" and Lurch had a voice, and a catchphrase. Can you think of another catchphrase connected to a TV character?

A. Eh, what's up, Doc?

3) Now here's the most important question of the week: Do you prefer The Addams Family or The Munsters?

A. To be honest, as a child I never watched either one; they were on channels we could not receive out in the sticks. When they came around as reruns I was a teenager and uninterested. I've seen maybe three episodes of each. I saw The Addams Family movie and enjoyed it.

4) What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?

A. Rosemary's Baby. I was too young to be watching it. I had nightmares for weeks.

5) Thursday was Halloween. What goodies did you give the trick or treaters?

A. We have no trick or treaters at my house, ever. Another deficit with living in the sticks.

6) Are you attending/have you attended any Halloween parties this year?

A. No.

7) Did you carve a jack o'lantern this year?

A. No.

8) Do you eat candy corn all year around ... only at Halloween . . . or never?

A. Never. I think that stuff is nasty.

9) In 1964, when The Addams Family premiered, one of the most popular store-bought Halloween costumes was Bambi. It came with a plastic mask held on by a thin elastic band. Tell us about a memorable Halloween costume from your childhood.

A. Usually I dressed up as a hobo. I recall a few of those hard plastic mask things but not many of them. I don't think Halloween was as big a deal in the late 1960s and early 1970s as it is now.

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

8 comments:

  1. #9 -- You're right, Halloween was not always the big business it is today. I had a retail client who told me they traced it back to Roseanne Barr's TV show. Every year, Roseanne and her TV husband and friends dressed up in elaborate costumes. Then the Today Show and other daytime hosts started doing it, and soon Halloween became an adult holiday, too. Which made the retailer happy, because the period between back-to-school and Christmas could be pretty rough for sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gal's comment is interesting. I loved those Halloween episodes of Roseanne...watching with our kids became a tradition in itself.
    Rosemary's Baby...another movie I refuse to watch because I've heard others say how much it scared them. I am a total wimp when it comes to scary movies.
    Have a lovely Saturday, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... they still published the Reader's Digest. I remember reading it all the time and I loved Humor in Uniform

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halloween was always a big deal to me because my birthday's so close--we always had elaborate parties to combine both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been back & forth on the film. Now, with you endorsement I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hobo is a popular costume isn't it? Easy to assemble wearing Daddy's stuff. Poor Dad, what does that say about his stuff? I only saw a few hobos this year but one George Washington which was kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember dressing as a hobo. It was a fairly easy costume to make at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.