Monday, September 09, 2019

My Thoughts On Sharpiegate

I have seen some silly things come out of the White House and the media in the last several years, but I thought this weird fight about a Sharpie and a weather forecast between #45 and, apparently, everyone else, was about the strangest thing I've ever seen.

It was doubly worse because there was a real disaster off the coasts of the Carolinas and here people were arguing over who said what when. (They were also watching the waves wash away a red SUV, but that's another weird story.)

The truth is, I too saw the initial weather talks that gave a small chance that Hurricane Dorian could pass over Florida and into the gulf and near or into Alabama. Those forecasts were early on and recanted by the time #45 took to the airwaves to offer up  . . . whatever it was he offered up. I didn't see what he said originally. I have long given up on hearing this man be the comforter in chief or do any of the things I used to expect from a president, such as offer empathy or understand disasters in a way that brings solace to people. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting anything from him so I missed what he said.

It wasn't until a few days later that I realized something was going on. In going back and reviewing, the best I can tell is someone noted that #45 was using an older forecast - which is what happens when you play golf instead of keep with the news during a major weather event.

Apparently #45 did not like being told he'd done something wrong, so he has continued (even up into Sunday morning) to tweet about it. In doing that, he marked up a forecast map with a black marker, and Sharpiegate became a thing when homes were being washed away by flood waters.

I know people who think they are never wrong. They never say, "I'm sorry." They are always right, in their minds, even when the facts contradict them.  
So #45 wanted an apology from what he calls "fake news" because the media hurt his feelings, or so it read to me in his tweets. They had nothing to apologize for, as best I can tell. He was using old information that at one time would have been correct but it wasn't correct when he used it.

That's a bit like eating a stale cracker after you've opened the package and left it sitting on the counter for four days, and then complaining because it is stale.

Had he stopped tweeting about it, this would have gone away. But he did not.

Sometimes I think the best thing that could happen would be if the satellites that function to make the Internet work all went down.

My final thought? I don't care about this at all. It's stupid, any way you look at it. There are more important things to be worrying about. I'm just writing about it because I think this is a great example of many things that are wrong with what is going on with not only the presidency but also the media.

Everybody is wrong in this particular instance.

5 comments:

  1. It was sloppy, it was dumb and that foam core map was insulting. But the thing about it that bothered me most was that it's corrosive. When I heard about the now cancelled "proposed secret meeting" at Camp David with the Taliban (in September, just days before the 9/11 anniversary!), I thought, "Did he just make that up?" One of these days, he's going to have to tell the nation something we have to hear, and many of us will sit there thinking, "Did he just make that up?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I have reached a point where I believe nothing coming out of the White House. It has been completely taken over by propaganda. The media needs to stop covering his tweets. They're nothing but bird shit as far as I'm concerned. But the media needs to focus on what's really important, was mostly my point in saying everyone is wrong in this. If that means running routes around the White House, then that is what they should do. When I was a news reporter, if a source proved uncooperative or lied, I didn't keep going back for more. I looked elsewhere for what I needed.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering why we cared if he mucked up a map because he has mucked most other things up as well. I am outraged over this secret meeting after learning about it this weekend. No Taliban member should be at Camp David or be invited into our country at all. If he wants to meet with them, go to a neutral territory or some where outside of the US. I wish #45 spent as much time fixing our government as he spends tweeting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH UGH UGH!!!! I hate politics and really hate all the lies and corruption! Seriously, UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the latest development, Ross threatened to fire the NOAA head if he did confirm that the President is right about Alabama. The NOAA head did even though he sided with the AL forecaster. The National Weather Service, however, did a raspberry cheer and backed the forecaster. I sound like a gossip. I heard just now that the House is starting to talk about how to handle the impeachment process. May that be real news.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.