Thursday, July 04, 2019

Thursday 13

Happy Fourth of July, America!

1. Despite our differences, whether that's political opinion, gender, race, or whatever - we're all in this together.

2. The country began with the audacious idea that all "men" are created equally. Thankfully, we have grown enough to realize that "men" includes both sexes (and sexes in between) and all races. A person is a person is a person.

3. Since the U.S. Constitution is malleable in that it can be changed via amendments, etc., I consider it a living document. It's not like the Christian Bible. No one is adding anything after Revelations. So let's get that Equal Rights Amendment for women in there!

4. July 4 is about food fights with your cousins, fireworks, friends and family. Those are good 4 Fs right there.

5. It's also about hot dogs, hamburgers, watermelon, and pie. Mmm. I love pie, especially if it's chocolate.

6. We are celebrating the Declaration of Independence today, which the nation's founders implemented nearly a year after we'd began shooting at British soldiers (The American Revolutionary War dates from 1775 - 1783). It's actually worth reading the thing in its entirety again, just to be sure history doesn't repeat itself. You can read it at this link. It might not say what you think it says, if you haven't reviewed it in a while.

7. It's also good to remember that we wouldn't have won with the assistance of France. We need national allies as much as we need friends, I don't care if we are the biggest bully on the block at the moment.

7. Unfortunately, I am still feeling the effects of strep throat and ear infections, so my celebrating will be limited today. My brother is having a big cook out and I don't feel well enough to go. I'm puny. Blah.

8. My husband slept late this morning, an unusual event for him. We are getting older, and we both are feeling our age. Listen to those bones creak! They're like firecrackers!

9. This will be a long holiday weekend for many people - be careful on the roads.

10. I wonder if I will see fireworks? The neighbors frequently put on a good show.

11. May we all find peace in the pop and crackle of the sky lights tonight.

Two pictures to finish it off:



___________________
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 611th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I love fireworks but I think it will rain. I don't mind because I want it to rain on Trump's tanks and donors parade. I'd probably still blog if I only had 6 months to live. I'd probably blog through it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.