Thursday, April 11, 2019

Thursday Thirteen

It's National Poetry Month. Here are 13 stanzas from some of my poetry. These are actually unfinished. Some I hadn't looked at in years. They were in my poetry folder on my computer.


---
The day the harpoon
cut my hand in half
I was clinging to you
like a mollusk to a hull.


You flung me ashore,
no water, no food,
left me bleeding in salty
tangy water, with sharks
circling all around.

----
Dawn breaks down the darkness
sending sunshine trickling
like water over rocks,
gems glistening on sandy beaches.


Dawn beams down on earth
warming soils, bringing growth
to sprigs of trees,
petals to flowers,
soft like clouds.


Dawn shines over mountaintops
sending shadows on towns.
Children quiver, close their eyes,
thank God, they see
a light.
----

See, the zebra had stripes
with spots and sprinkles
but God, Almighty, looked,
laughed, and lightly sent Angels
to correct His mistake.


The God, Almighty, neglected
to mention His errors
to the writers of His Ways,
those dudes who wrote that Bible.


Like Paul and Peter, the one
with Pumpkins, who splattered and bled
all over some town.


While God, Almighty, watched
Sonny & Cher on a big screen.

----
Deer bathe serenely in sunlight
Acorns at their hooves.
Autumn comes.


Leaves turn dull brown
flung to the earth
by ruthless winds.

Rains slash skies,
gray, dark, light dimming
like a mother
drowning love.


Autumn comes.
Guns bark out death
while leaves fall
and I leave you.

----
Jezebel jerks and whirls
a spinning top, telling
tales, mothers’ wail,
waves swell, water falls
people fall, buildings tall
hear the cries
turn of eyes
hearts of sighs
no goodbyes.

----------------------------
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 599th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah; that Works-In-Progress file is always the most jam-packed, eh? Now, if we could only get the same number (or more, even) in the "Acceptances" file!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the clinging like a mollusk to a hull and God watching Sonny and Cher.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.