Thursday, April 04, 2019

Thursday Thirteen

Today I finished listening to In Pieces, a memoir by Sally Field. It was much darker than I anticipated and I think many people would find it enlightening, especially with regards to women in theater and television, along with the current wave of #metoo.

So here are thirteen quotes by Sally Field that I found on the Internet. They are not from the book.

1. My agent said, "You aren't good enough for movies." I said, "You're fired."

2. [upon accepting her 1985 Best Actress Oscar] This means so much more to me this time, I don't know why. I think the first time I hardly felt it because it was all too new. But I want to say "Thank you" to you. I haven't had an orthodox career. And I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it. But this time I feel it. And I can't deny the fact that you like me . . . right now . . . you like me. Thank you.

3. My country is still so repressed. Our idea of what is sexual is blonde hair, long legs, 22 years old. It has nothing to do with humour, intelligence, warmth, everything to do with teeth and cleavage.

4. Norma Rae (1979) is inspirational because it's the type of film where one person can be heard.

5. Forrest Gump (1994) is filled full of moments where your heart just cheers.

6. There are not a lot of places for an actor to explore what it's like to be a woman in her 60s. There aren't any films about it and there very few TV series about it.

7. [on trying her hand at golf] I would go to all these locations and think ... why don't I play golf? People walk around and enjoy God, God's gifts, the trees, so I think I've always thought I should have that in my life.

8. [In 2004, recalling her TV show The Flying Nun (1967) to Archive of American Television] I always certainly tried to do my best with it but deeply didn't want to do it. It went for 3 years. It was hugely important time in my life, because I learned a lot, because I didn't want to do it, and because I hated it every day. I hated the garbage. I felt it was just trivia that I had to say. With Gidget (1965), there was some kernel of something real in it. It was the father-daughter relationship that I always could hang on. But there was nothing in the nun that I could make sense out of. It made no sense to me. It was just drivel. And people when they hear me talk like that, they get very angry, "Oh, I grew up with that! I loved it." Well, God bless gesund that you loved it, but it was drivel and nonsense. There wasn't any piece of it that had any human behavior in it. And that bothered me....Madeleine Sherwood, who played Mother Superior, recognized my depression and how difficult this was for me and she recognized why, and she took me to the Actor's Studio. I didn't know that's where I needed to be, and it came a huge turning point in my life.

9. Being a mom is everything. It's mentorship, it's inspirational, its our hope for the future.

10. The industry has always, but certainly now to a huge degree, played to young men, and made a self-fulfilling prophecy about films that aren't directed toward young men by saying there's no audience for it. So they put no money in it, they don't promote it, and then when it doesn't make as much money as the films for young boys, they say, "You see?"

11. Having a long-term career is really about how to ride it and not be rigid. Keep asking yourself "What really blows my skirts up?" To me, it's finding the work.

12. I believe if you have the money, couples should have separate bedrooms. There's something unnatural about sleeping in the same bed, dressing in the same closet, sharing everything.

13. I think I'm much darker than people suspect.

----------------------------
Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 598th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday. Or so sayth the Blogger counter, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I never saw The Flying Nun. It did look stupid to me. Gidget had something, an Annette Funicello beach blanket thing. Did she talk about her sexual abuse via her step father?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in the book she does in explicit detail. It really messed her up.

      Delete
  2. Great quotes! Thanks for putting that list together - I had never heard any of those! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this list. I have wanted to read her book...some day when I have time...LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.