Monday, April 08, 2019

Things in Common

I have several people whom I consider best friends, but my very best friend is my husband.

He and I are two very different people, and sometimes I wonder how it is that we've remained married and friends for 35 years. After such a long time, one might think two very different personalities would be sick of one another.

However, we have a few things in common. We both have a great sense of humor. While he tends more toward what I call "garbage" humor, as in, say, Monty Python or bathroom jokes, I am more sardonic and my humor is more of an off-the-cuff variety. However, my husband has taught me the value of a good laugh at a great fart joke (or a great fart), because after you live with someone for so long, you're just going to fart in front of one another. At some point, you may as well laugh about it. And now that I've read somewhere that smelling farts can keep one from having dementia, we have now nicknamed farts the anti-dementia gas. Go figure.

We also both love the rural life, although I like to look at it and take pictures of it from inside the house while he prefers to be out in the fields riding around in a tractor. Still, I'd rather look at fields of orchard grass than the backside of someone else's house. We both embrace the wildlife, me with my camera and he with his shotgun sometimes, but even so, we have a mutual respect for the land and what Mother Nature has given us to care for. For a time we had a garden, but between fighting off the deer and other animals and aging, we've given up on that for the most part. Even so, there are days when I enjoy having my hands in the dirt of my flower bed, while he enjoys having the dirt all over him. How's that for something in common?

Another thing we have in common is that we're both rather, um, thrifty. We don't spend money on stuff unless we have to. We have stuff around here that's 30 years old. So long as it still works, it will still be here another 30. However, we will spend money on important things, like nephews and nieces and home improvements and stuff like that.

And that's my thought for the day.
_____________________

Linking up with Kwizgiver's April Challenge. You can find the prompts here.

5 comments:

  1. That is wonderful that you have been married so long and are still best friends!!!! Maybe domeday I will have that...fingers crossed! You are blessed! HUGS! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot, in my opinion, the most important thing you and James have in common: Respect for each other. I admire you both for your long marriage. Others should be so lucky............

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what it is like to love, respect and appreciate someone in that way and I’m happy for you that you have that kind of love in your life we all should be so lucky .... I have never been able to find or keep it. Funny, an older friend of mine told me once that I was not the kind of girl you date, I was the kind you marry. Apparently, i’m Neither i’m Just a girl with a big heart and gives it and her love to the wrong people. A relationship like yours takes work and communication and I ‘ve never met anyone that would try to do that with me. They would work on lying to me and non communication. l’m smart, funny , hard working , loving and and VERY good to those I love especially family and close friends . I read somewhere and it stuck with me” if someone doesn’t love you, you’ve loss nothing but if you love them they have lost everything, because true, unconditional love is a rare emotion not given lightly or often” Much more happiness and love to you and James....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, little more than I intended to say and I am someone’s joke yet again. : -(

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful accomplishment.... Congratulations to you and James, may you have many more years of love, happiness and beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.