Saturday, April 27, 2019

Saturday 9: Every Time You Go Away

Saturday 9: Every Time You Go Away (1985)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about separation. Who is the last person you said goodbye (or maybe just "so long") to?

A. Does telling my husband goodbye when he goes off to work count? Or are you looking for some kind of more permanent relationship end? I don't generally end my relationships. They sort of either dither away or the person leaves me.

2) This week's featured artist, Paul Young, was a gifted athlete during his school days and briefly played professional football (aka soccer). Sam enjoys playing tennis, though her serve doesn't give Serena Williams anything to worry about. What's something you enjoy doing, even if you don't excel?

A. Photography. While I am, by all ways of looking at it, a professional photographer, I'm not National Geographic class or anything. I get by with the help of enough knowledge to be dangerous and the automatic setting on the cameras.

3) Mr. Young and his wife Stacy were married for 31 years, until her death in 2018. What do you think is the key to a happy marriage?

A. As a member of the happily married crew of over 35 years, I would say compromise is key. If one person is always giving, or always having to win, or whatever, that relationship is likely doomed. Both people have to give in sometimes.

4) Paul Young's performance of this hit song was one of the highlights of the July 1985 Live Aid Concert. This international benefit raised more than $100 million to alleviate hunger in Ethiopia. Tell us about a charity you support.

A. I support the Roanoke Area Ministries. This is a grassroots, interfaith organization that serves as an advocate for people who are homeless and poverty stricken. RAM helps people in need through a variety of programs including emergency financial assistance, a day shelter serving a daily hot noon-time meal, providing clothing and job placement assistance. The organization aims to empower people to move from dependency to self-sufficiency to build a stronger, healthier community.

5) This song was written by Daryl Hall, of Hall and Oates. What's your favorite Hall and Oates song?

A. Sara Smile.

6) In 1985, when this song was popular, the New Coke was unsuccessfully introduced. What's the last beverage you drank?

A. A ginger ale about a week ago. Mostly I drink water.

7) In 1985, the New York Stock Exchange had to close because of Hurricane Gloria. Has a hurricane shared your name? (Find a list of recent/upcoming storm names here.)

A. I couldn't find it on that site, but a google search turned up Hurricane Anita in 1977. It reached Category 5 in late August of that year and hit northeastern Mexico on September 2, 1977, landing with winds at over 175 mph. The storm left 25,000 people homeless and dropped over 17 inches of rain, which caused flooding and mudslides. Eleven people died. I'd never heard of it before. Good question.

8) 1985 was the year that the Titanic wreckage was discovered. There have been at least 11 movies and TV shows about the fatal voyage. Have you seen any of them?

A. I saw that famous one in the 1997, directed by James Cameron, with the Celine Dion song.

9) Random question: Would you rather own and run a coffee shop or a shoe store? Why?

A. I'd rather own a coffee shop with a bookstore in it. I don't like to play with people's feet. I don't drink coffee either but at least with a coffee shop you have some chance of mixing things up and serving tea.

  ___________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.

6 comments:

  1. Love your answers! I need to start with these again. Life has just been too busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I can't recall the last time I've been in a shoe store where anyone who worked there even looked at my feet. They were either behind the register, or putting stock out on the floor. I remember in the olden days, we'd get our feet measured and the salesperson would bring us shoes. Does that happen anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only hope for owning a coffee shop would be possibly serving hot cocoa...or if I served cold sweet tea. I am not really a fan of hot drinks. I know, it is weird.
    The charity you support sounds amazing!!! Yay! You are helping so many people. That is awesome. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. RAM does so much good work--my sister has talked about it, too.

    Sara Smile--such a pretty song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you've given me an idea....how about a tea shop with a bookstore?

    ReplyDelete
  6. RAM sounds like a great place. It sounds somewhat like where I volunteered for about 3 years, in that it gives counseling, helps with finding housing in shelters, let's people know where they can get hot showers and meals, distributes some clothing, gave them an address where they could mail and receive their checks if they had any coming, and was interfaith.
    I'd rather have a coffee/tea shop bookstore, too. There was one here my sister and I went to all the time, called "Upstart Crow". It was really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.