Saturday, September 01, 2018

Saturday 9: She Works Hard for the Money

She Works Hard for the Money (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a woman who works hard as a waitress. What's the hardest job you've ever had?

A. Physically, working on the farm. Mentally, being a reporter.

2) The lyrics tell us she has worked at this job for 28 years. What's the longest you stayed with one employer?

A. I wrote for the newspaper for 30 years, but I was a freelancer, not an employee. The longest I was an employee was about two years or so.

3) Donna Summer was inspired to write this song during an awards show. She ducked into the bathroom and met the elderly ladies' room attendant, whose job it was to make sure the room the spotless, the complimentary hairspray and moisturizer was abundant, and there was a hot towel for every celebrity who used the facilities. "Wow," Donna thought, "she works hard for those tips." Who is the last person you tipped?

A. A waitress at Cracker Barrel.

4) Early in her career, Donna was in the touring company of the musical Hair. It played in Munich for so long that she became fluent in German. What's the longest you have ever lived away from home?

A. The 35 years I've been married, although I'm 6 miles from where I grew up.

5) Sam's dad is naturally outgoing and enjoys striking up conversations with waitresses, librarians, the checker at the supermarket, etc. Sam is always polite but more private. Are you more like father or daughter?

A. I am a Gemini. Sometimes I'm like the father and sometimes like the daughter.

6) A little more than 10% of the American workforce is self-employed. Have you ever been your own boss?

A. I have been my own boss since 1994.

7) Labor Day weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore?

A. According to my husband, I have "kitty cat" snores.

8) Will you be attending a Labor Day picnic or barbecue?

A. I doubt it.

9) Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the fall. Will you be adding any new fall clothes to your wardrobe?

A. Maybe. It depends on whether or not I lose more weight.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

9 comments:

  1. I have been asked to write a column for a new magazine, I have to think it over. It is one thing to write a blog and it is another to write for someone else and have a deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 -- You sound like my mom. Except for two years, when I was a baby, she lived her entire life in the same town. Literally, since she was born at home and died in the ambulance before it left the nursing facility in that same town. She was a "bloom where you're planted" person. She felt she belonged there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you physical and mental jobs are both very tough. I enjoyed your answers! Have a nice long weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even consider the split between physical and mental jobs--being a waitress was a tough physical job adn teaching is a tough mental job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you when the snore question came up, and wished for the "kitty kat" snores like you have, but alas. Mine are definitely " shake the rafter" ones.
    It's hard to be your own boss. I admire that you and others have done that. Mine was not the same thing as a bread and butter thing. It was college money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are always such fun and I so enjoy the differing answers. Kitty Kat snores, that's cute! Have a great Labor Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t imagine harder work or longer hours than farming. I so admire those of you who devote yourselves to that way of life. Now the “kitty cat” snores is new to me. I have a feeling that must be a very affectionate definition from your hubby. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I chose to separate the difficult physical and mental jobs, too. The journalism background influencing the way we think?
    I live even closer to where I grew up than you do. I can look out my kitchen window and see Mom's house about 200 feet away and our daughter's house is about the same distance off to the side of us.
    Kitty cat snores...that's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've worked off and on for the local newspaper for most of our 40+ years here, a a stringer, columnist and now critic. I don't have what it takes to be a reporter, though I have done that too. I think I suck at it, though nobody has noticed. I admire you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.