Monday, August 27, 2018

A Poem From Great Great Grandfather

My great-great grandfather, Charles E. Simms, wrote this poem after the death of his son, Cecil James Simms.  The child allegedly died from measles. Grandfather Simms was a traveling preacher and teacher.

Untitled Poem
Charles E. Simms

 
Returning once unto my home
Along a muddy way
The path that through the fields did come
I took that fatal day.
 
Near by a neighbor farmhouse stood
I, weary, sad, thought best
to stop with them, partake of food,
and gain a little rest.
 
Fate lays her hand in silent state
Unwarned on all of earth
Regardless of the small or great,
Or those of noble birth
 
Fate, her silent stroke fell on me
I, measles did inhale,
The billows of life's troubled sea
Rose by the stirring gale.
 
There was a flower in my home,
A darling little boy;
No dearer object there could come,
This precious little toy.
 
I used to take my darling son
When near the close of day
The busy cares then being done
And sing in joyful lay(?)
 
"I never will cease to love him
My, Jimmy, my Jimmy!
I will never cease to love him
He's done so much for me."
 
But when the sickness seized this flower,
It drooping, withered, died.
We strove to save it from that feover;
It perished by our side.
 
We sadly laid him in the grave
To wait that coming day:
One by one the Savior gathers,
choicest flowers rich, and rare,
He'll transplant them in his garden,
They will bloom forever there.
 
 
Here are the original documents. They are hard to read, and I suppose if you're a younger person who can't read cursive writing, you can't read them at all.
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful family treasure! Your great-great grandfather was a talented poet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.