Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Tingler's Mill

Tingler's Mill is a restored grist mill located in Paint Bank, in Craig County, Virginia. The mill has been restored with a working wheel and sluice, but the interior is still in need of work. Renovations appear to be ongoing and have been for nearly two decades.

While this structure dates to 1873, a mill has been in this location since 1783. Colonel William Preston of Virginia, (well-known to most Botetourt Countians) established the grist mill for corn and wheat in Paint Bank. "The grist mill sits on Potts Creek, on property originally owned by Revolutionary War hero Colonel William Preston. Colonel Preston was given the land grants in 1780 for his service in the war," states information at the mill.

At that time, the mill was located in Botetourt County, Virginia. Then the land became part of Monroe County, Virginia, in 1851. Craig County was formed in 1863 when West Virginia became a state, and the property was in West Virginia for a time before being returned to Virginia. Because of these changes, Paint Bank and this mill have been in two different states and five different counties without ever having been moved.

Through the years since the American Revolution, ownership of the mill changed several times, and in the 1970s it became known as "Tingler's Mill".

It is open to the public for viewing.

The restored mill building.


A history of the mill.

A little carriage beside the mill.

The recreated sluice and water wheel.

A little known piece of information - back in the early 2000s, I was commissioned to research the history of this mill for the current owner. I have no proof of this, of course, as the person who hired me was an employee and I presume no longer there. I don't remember her name anyway. I do remember doing the work.

I just hope I had the facts right.

1 comment:

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.