Saturday, May 05, 2018

Saturday 9: Standing on the Corner

Saturday 9: Standing on the Corner (1956)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, four friends congregate on Main Street to look longingly at pretty girls. In your town, where is the best place for people watching?

A. The supermarket in Daleville, I suppose.

2) This song was written for the Broadway musical, The Most Happy Fella. Who is the happiest person you know?

A. Hmm. That's actually a difficult question. :::ponder::: I can't come up with anyone.

3) The members of The Four Lads met at Toronto's St. Michael's Choir School. Growing up, did you attend parochial or public school?

A. I went to public school.

4) The Four Lads always wore jackets and ties when they performed. Do you enjoying dressing up? Or would you rather keep it casual?

A. I prefer my comfort, which means casual. If I could spend the rest of my years in sneakers, I'd be fine with that.

5) While this song was a hit for The Four Lads, they were completely overshadowed in 1956 by Elvis Presley and "Heartbreak Hotel." Who do you think dominates today's music scene?

A. I don't really know. Adele, maybe.

6) The Wizard of Oz aired on TV for the first time in 1956. Sam was never crazy about those flying monkeys. Tell us about something that frightened you when you were a kid.

A. The monkeys in The Wizard of Oz always scared my brother. I was scared by the movie SSSSS! which I wasn't supposed to be watching anyway. It's about a man who gets turned into a king cobra.

 7) What scares you now?

A. The State of the Union.

8) Since this week's song is about pretty girls: 1956's Miss America was Sharon Ritchie of Colorado. Today Colorado has the distinction of being the home of more microbreweries than any other state in the union. Which are you most particular about -- your beer, your wine, or your coffee?

A. I don't drink any of those beverages.

9) Random question: We all have small, irritating habits, like soup slurping or not replacing the cap on the toothpaste. What's your nasty little habit?

A. Chewing my nails. I have done so since I was a wee lass and at this late date I don't think it is something I will stop.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

7 comments:

  1. I don't think nail chewing is that bad. After all, they are YOUR nails! Now chewing someone else's would be creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the movie SSSSSS when it came out... I didn't watch it because I'm not into horror movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real life is more scary than any movie could ever be! I don’t scare easily anymore, at least not that way. I just don’t like the gore - type movies. I like a good suspense movie.
    Roanoke has added a number of microbreweries to the city. I don’t drink micro beer but I have notice the increase in the brewery business in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--I had a flashback to the movie SSSSS! I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam's comment reminded me of Patricia Heaton of The Middle. Her oldest son had clipped his toenails and put them in an empty chip bag. She picked up the bag thinking they were chips. Gross. But her reaction was hilarious! Now that's nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could wear sneakers every day for the rest of my life too. Well, or cozy slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never seen the movie SSSSS! - but it definitely sounds like something I should watch.

    I've heard of Adele! But I don't think I'd recognize her music if I heard it. (Or is Adele a group?) I'm really out of touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.