Saturday, May 19, 2018

Saturday 9: A DJ Saved My Life

Saturday 9: Last Night a DJ Saved My Life! (1982)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here. (Never heard this song.)

1) This song is about a girl who is heartbroken about a boy who won't take her calls. Do you screen your calls, deciding to let some go to voicemail? Or do you pick up whenever you possibly can? (We're referring to calls from people you know.)


A. I pick up if it's a local number. Otherwise I send them to voice mail or sometimes I pick up, answer, and hang up immediately if it is a pesky telemarketer. (I'm looking at you, Planned Parenthood. I support you when I can but you can stop calling now.)

2) When she was feeling her lowest, she heard a song on the radio that lifted her spirits. What's the last thing you heard on the radio?

A. I couldn't remember so I turned on my local station. They were playing Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson. Then they played Adele's Fire in the Rain. It's a multi-decade station.

3) This song includes the sound of squeaky wheels, indicating a sudden stop and perhaps a near-miss. Tell us about your most recent traffic mishap.

A. I haven't had any in a while and I'm afraid nothing comes to mind.

 4) "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life!" is featured in the 2002 video game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Do you spend much time on video games?

A. Yes, more than I should. I don't play Grand Theft Auto, though.

5) This week's featured artist, Indeep, was a trio. We've had many groups, some duos and tons of solo artists on Saturday 9, but not many trios. Can you name another popular trio?

A. The Bee Gees.

6) The last time Indeep performed together was in 1997, at a New Year's Eve show in Paris for French TV. Have you celebrated a holiday in another land?

A. No.

7) Britain's Royal Family is in the news this weekend, with attention centered on the nuptials. The Royals made news in 1982, as well. When this song was popular, Michael Fagan gained momentary fame by breaking into Buckingham Palace. He found The Royal Bedroom, where he came face-to-face with the Queen. He reports that Queen Elizabeth sleeps in a nightie that "reached down to her knees." What did you wear to bed last night?

A. I wear nightgowns, too.

8) In 1982, you could buy a loaf of white bread for 50¢. Today, the national average price for that loaf of bread is more than $2.50. When you go grocery shopping, do you comparison shop and make purchases at more than one store? Or do you prefer one-stop shopping?

A. I generally do one-stop shopping, but if I am in a store and see something I use a lot for a cheaper price than where I normally shop, I will buy it.

9) Random question: What's the first famous quote that comes to your mind?

A. Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkien


_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.
 

6 comments:

  1. I once thought of being a DJ. It seemed like a fun job to have when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 could be my answer. Exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #8 is exactly what I should have said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was once on that call list. I probably still am but, I took my landline off the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your quote... My mind does a lot of wandering

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son and his kids came to visit today, but his wife stayed home to work on a mural she's painting on their living room wall. Your quote kind of made me think of it. They are a family of readers and the room is filled with shelves of books. She is pulling in several scenes from books they like...a Hobbit door, Alice from "It," etc. Then at the top will be my son's favorite Stephen King quote "Go then, there are other worlds than these." I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.