Thursday, April 26, 2018

Otis Media and Sinusitis

A few days of sniffling quickly turned into something major Tuesday night.

I thought I was fine. Pollen's in the air, and I have allergies. Considering that, I seemed to be doing well.

Tuesday evening, though, I developed a severe sore throat, seemingly within moments of being fine.

When I woke up Wednesday morning, I was in full-blown sinus and ear infection mode. I rose at my usual 6:15 a.m. and by 7:30 a.m. I was watching the clock so I could call the doctor as I felt worse every minute.

Fortunately my doctor had a 10:15 opening, and in I went. It was a different sort of doctor visit. I expected to be waiting a long time, as is often the case when I get a sick visit. But I'd only been waiting about 25 minutes when my doctor herself opened the door to the waiting room and said, "Anita, get on back here. I want to see you now."

Surprised, I followed her into the back and she pointed me toward the far room. "I want to see you in there," she said.

No weighing, no vitals, no temperature-taking.

She's seen me frequently for similar issues, enough so that she went straight to my left ear. "Raging infection there," she said, moving to the right ear. "Not infected yet but retracted and heading that way."

She shone her light down my throat, felt my glands in my neck. "Oh boy. Yeah. You need an antibiotic."

It was short and sweet, and I was out of there quickly. It felt like an old-fashioned quick visit with a friend who knows me all too well. All business but I had what I needed and she had one person off her list.

Apparently those early warning symptoms I'd been chalking up to allergies was really an infection brewing in my head.

So today is a rest day while I hope the antibiotics kick in as quickly as the infection seemed to.

5 comments:

  1. Feel better, Anita! I get sick easily. At the first sign I take C and beta glucan and often can catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have saved yourself a case of pneumonia with your quick action. Those head colds tend to travel south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get sinusitis every winter and it was brutal! My doctor finally figured out it was allergies exacerbating it and now it happens far less frequently. But, oh! I feel for you! Glad you like your doctor, though. That's important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you are sick and I hope you feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.