Thursday, March 01, 2018

Thursday Thirteen

The other night we went to a little talk about the mountains in my county. I decided to look and see how many there were. To my surprise, we have 58 different "peaks" here! Some we share with adjoining counties, and in those cases the county lines run along the summits. Here is a google map that you can enlarge that shows the names of major mountains.

Anyway, these are the most interesting names of 13 of those "peaks" (and the ones I consider real mountains, more or less). They are not in any particular order.

1. Apple Orchard Mountain - so named, we were told, because at 4,225 feet it is the highest elevation in the county, and the trees up there are twisted and old, thus looking like apple trees.

Apple Orchard Mountain (listofjohn)

2. Sugarloaf Mountain, elevation 3,626 feet.

3. North Mountain (we actually have two "North Mountains" in this county - one which borders Rockbridge County to the north and the one I can see out my front window, which is more west).

Tinker Mountain, which I didn't list here, and North Mountain from our farm.

4. Wildcat Mountain

5. Bald Knob

6. Purgatory Mountain (always thought that one would be a cool name for a book)


Purgatory Mountain from Roanoke.com

7. Bearwallow Mountain

8. Rathole Mountain

9. The Knob

10. Iron Ore Mountain

11. Sulphur Ridge

12. Gully Mountain

13. Chestnut Mountain


_______

Thursday Thirteen is played by lots of people; there is a list here if you want to read other Thursday Thirteens and/or play along. I've been playing for a while and this is my 540th time to do a list of 13 on a Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. Gully Mountain, eh? How very oxymoronic! My fave (up here) is Camel's Hump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting names, especially Bearwallow and Rathole. All I can think of is our "Buffalo."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sulfur ridge sounds a little ominous. lol
    But Rathole mountain sounds like fun.
    Great List!
    I promised myself I wouldn't do another 13 that deals with poli-angst. It's taking years off my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like folks named your ridges much the same way they named the ones out here. We don't have any Tinker or Knob, but we have things like Lame Horse, Sapphire (where you still might find sapphires laying on the ground), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really very interesting and very valuable information about the Reunion Resort keep posting.
    Reunion Resort

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.