Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Athena, Artemis, and Demeter

My brother surprised me this Christmas with small statues (about 7 inches high) made of alabaster stone that a craftsman in Greece created to represent my three favorite Greek goddesses: Athena, Artemis, and Demeter.

He got the idea from something I'd written about having a statue with the three goddesses on it as a response to a question in one of the memes I do. Plus at the time I was pretty consumed with Wonder Woman and the whole idea of female empowerment. Well, I am always consumed by that idea but it was especially prominent after I saw the Wonder Woman movie.

The craftsman's name is Malamatenia Skoylikari (I think) and he sells items on ebay under greekartshop. He has a set of three Greek gods, and a larger statue of Athena, as well as a set of the 12 Greek gods/goddesses which are similar to what I have. The works are made with molds, according to the ebay site.

 I have no idea how exactly my brother found this man, but he contracted with him to make these for me.

Here are pictures, which I took with my cellphone:






In the classical period of Greek mythology, Artemis was often described as the daughter of Zeus and Leto, and the twin sister of Apollo. She was the Hellenic goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth, virginity and protector of young girls, bringing and relieving disease in women; she often was depicted as a huntress carrying a bow and arrows.  The deer and the cypress were sacred to her. She is often called the goddess of the hunt.

The goddess Athena represented the disciplined, strategic side of war, in contrast to her brother Ares, the patron of violence, bloodlust, and slaughter—the raw force of war. Athena was believed to only support those fighting for a just cause and was thought to view war primarily as a means to resolve conflict. In her aspect as a warrior maiden, Athena was also known as Parthenos, which means "virgin", because she was believed to have never married or taken a lover. As the patroness of heroes and warriors, Athena was believed to favor those who used cunning and intelligence rather than brute strength. She is known as the goddess of wisdom.

Demeter is often described simply as the goddess of the harvest; however, she presided also over the sacred law, and the cycle of life and death. She is one of the earliest known goddesses and her story of her search for her daughter Persephone explains the change of seasons.

This was a great present. Way to go, brother!

2 comments:

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.