Sunday, September 03, 2017

Sunday Stealing: Back to School

Sunday Stealing: Back to School

1. What kind of school did you attend (Big? Small? Public? Private? Specialty? One-room schoolhouse?)

A. I attended public schools. Living in a relatively rural area, these structures and teachings were probably considered "quaint" by my city cousins, but I seem to have had a better education than many people I know. At least I know how to think for myself. By most standards, the school system would be considered small. My high school graduating class was just over 200 kids.

2. What did you wear to school (uniform? dress code? Whatever you wanted?)


A. Whatever we wanted, for the most part. My mother made me wear dresses until 7th grade, at which point I discovered blue jeans and never looked back.
Me around 1977.


3.  How did you get to school?


A. I rode a bus until I learned to drive.

4. Who was your favorite teacher?  Why?


A. I loved most of my teachers as I tended to be a "teachers pet" in that I was a good student, made As, and didn't cause (too much) trouble. I also treated them like human beings. I still see a few of my high school teachers and have lunch once or twice a year with my old high school math teacher.

5. What was your favorite subject? Why?


A. English, because I liked to read and write and I was good at it.

6. What was your least favorite subject? Why?


A. Gym. I hated gym with every fiber of my being. I am a brainy couch potato, not an athlete. I used to get out of it as much as I could. If I could get another teacher to write me a note excusing me from gym so I could go do something for her, I would.

7. Did you belong to any clubs?


A. I belonged to the Honor Society, the Spanish club, band (which wasn't exactly a club, it was a class but we also had a jazz band of which I partook), the debate team for a short time, and something else that had to do with public speaking and oration but I forget the name of it.

8. Were you a picky reader?


A. No. I read everything, and still do.

9.  What did you do in your free time?


A. I lived on a farm, so my free time was frequently filled with chores, which included feeding livestock, carrying in firewood, caring for my brother, cleaning the house, and occasionally fixing dinner. (Can you imagine kids today doing that stuff?)

10.  Did you get good grades?


A. I was a straight-A student except for gym. I received Bs in gym and it was irksome because it kept me off the Straight A honor roll and because it lowered my GPA so that I graduated 5th in my class instead of as valedictorian.


11.  Did you like/participate in sports?

A. No. Band, though, is a sport if you are in the marching band, which I was, and so I attended many football and basketball games.

Me with my flute.

12.  Did you have a boyfriend/girlfriend in high school?

A. Yes.

13.  When did you get your driver’s license?


A. I received my driver's license the day after I turned 16.

14.  What kind of kid were you?  (Popular? Class clown? Shy?  A nerd?  Teacher’s pet?)


A. I was a nerd but I don't think that word was around yet. Or if it was, it wasn't a compliment.

15. Who were your heroes?


A. My teachers were my heroes for putting up with the things that went on and for noticing me and giving me much-needed attention.


Ms. T., my math teacher, who put up with me. Photo taken about two years ago when we had lunch.

16. Were you ever bullied?


A. Yes.

17. Did you learn how to touch type?


A. Yes. I guess that means without looking at the keyboard. I never look at the keyboard.

18. Who was your best friend?  (Are you still friends today?)


A. I had several close friends, none of whom I see today. I played in a dance band, playing Top 40 music (which meant disco at that time) and we were all close friends then, but as soon as we graduated - really before that, when the band broke up - we drifted apart. I have one other friend, a year younger than I, with whom I stay in touch. I saw her for the first time in 30 years this past year.

19. What is one thing you regret about high school?


A. Nothing that I care to speak of.

20. What were you most proud about?


A. That I was a good student in spite of myself.

Bonus:  Did you like high school?

A. I didn't hate it.

__________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Sunday Stealing posts and leave a comment. Cheers to all us thieves who love memes, however we come by them.

6 comments:

  1. 200 was a big class. There were 60 in my graduating class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This caused a trip down memory lane.... wasn't a good trip but wasn't to bad either. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My high school graduating class also had over 200.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that all of us who picked English as our favorite class did so for the same reason. Nowadays, 200 is a pretty big class for the schools around here, but my graduating class had over 360...pretty big class for a rural school, but it was because they had consolidated three smaller districts and created the largest school district in PA, area-wise so plenty of families to pull kids from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had similar chores, that is until my paternal unit lost the farm.
    Love the picture of your math teacher! And the two photos of you! Those seventies prints sure were bad. You can shop that color out if you want to. I remember you like to play with photos, a lot.
    I always have a soft spot for two of my math teachers, three if you count the Professor Emeritus who took over Geometry when our teacher left to teach in Uni. The Prof was in his 90's and still as brilliant as ever.
    Wishing you a very relaxing Labor Day. sort of "Oximoronic" isn't that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Typing was the best thing I learned in high school!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.