Saturday, September 02, 2017

Saturday 9: 9 to 5

Saturday 9:  9 to 5 (1980)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song begins with the clacking of a typewriter. Did you ever learn to touch type -- beginning with your fingers on "the home row" -- or do you hunt and peck?

A. I learned to type in high school. At one time I typed 110 wpm. A typing test I just took on Bing (type in "typing test" and it should be the first thing that comes up), says I type 84 wpm (better than 98% of the scores). So I've declined a bit but then I am no longer 18. That's still pretty speedy.

2) Much of the video for this song revolves around the office coffee room. Are you enjoying a beverage as you answer these 9 questions?

A. I have a glass of water in front of me. That's mostly all I drink.

3) This week's artist, Dolly Parton, loves telling the story of how she once lost a Dolly Parton lookalike contest. What contest or sweepstakes have you entered lately?

A. Does playing the lottery count?

4) Dolly is one smart blonde. Early in her career she set up a company so she could retain the publishing rights for all her songs. Two alone -- "9 to 5" and "I Will Always Love You" -- made her a multi-millionaire because they have been recorded so many times. Do you have a good head for business?

A. Apparently not, since I am not a multi-millionaire.

5) Dolly is a crusader for childhood literacy and her organization, Dolly's Imagination Library, has donated more than 10 million books all over the country. What's the last book you read?

A. I'm reading Fire Is Your Water by Jim Minnick at the moment.

6) This weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore?

A. My husband says I have "kitty cat" snores. I think that means I purr.

7) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. How many different employers have you had?

A. I can come up with at least 10, and since I have at times worked for those companies that hire you out for six weeks or whatever, I'm sure it is many more than that.

8) Will you be attending a Labor Day picnic or barbecue?

A. Not that I am aware of.

9) Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the new school year. When she was a kid, Samantha was crazy for her brand new box of 96 Crayola Crayons. It even had a sharpener in the back! What do you remember about preparing to go back to school? If you're a parent with school-age kids, are they ready?

A. I always loved going back to school. Such a relief it was to be back in the classroom and learning. I remember new notebooks. I still have a thing about notebooks and have to stay out of the stores during the school sales or I will come home with two or three 25 cent notebooks. I have more now than I will ever use. But they have to be in perfect condition or I won't write in them. If they get torn or bent, or have something spilled on them, I must have a new notebook.
_____________

I encourage you to visit other participants in Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.



8 comments:

  1. Thought I was the only one will a notebook fetish. I journal and use them instead of the fancy journaling books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the lottery counts. Although I don't think of it as a contest or sweepstakes anymore. For me, it's hopeful retirement planning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how people are so excited to be out of school and into the summer mode and then even more excited to end the summer mode and get back into school? That's a lot of stress for me. Glad I am done with it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still go through the cycle of out of school-back to school. Although, I must admit, I prefer out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking back at school I think I had a learning disorder and I was probably had a touch autism.
    In grad school going for my MSW one of my professors was a LCSW specializing learning disorders, he had me take a screening test for dyslexia, if you answer yes to 12 out 20 questions you probably have dyslexia, well I answered yes to 18.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, dont worry about my typing faster than you do. If I were to take test today, I'd be lucky t get 30 wpm (if you count the errors). Hell to get old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the same way about a fresh new notebook or journal. I want it perfect and opening it the first time is a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww.. that's sweet.. kitty cat snores.
    When I got up to three journals that I've opened and then stored on the shelf, I knew it had to stop. I HAVE to stay out of the office stores. New paper, especially in reams just makes my knees weak.
    Going to take a look at Fire is Your Water. I'm currently trolling for a new book. Hope you have a happy week, CountryDew!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.