Saturday, September 30, 2017

Saturday 9: Little Woman

Saturday 9: Little Woman (1969)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

(Just for the record, I am nobody's "little woman.")

1) This song contains many weather references (clouds, rainbows, sunshine, rain). How's the sky where you are today?

A. It's a beautiful day, though dry, as we are officially in a drought. The sky is a lovely blue with occasional clouds. The leaves are turning brown and dropping fast in a slight breeze. They are crinkling beneath my feet when I walk outside. We are already feeding hay to the cattle, something that normally doesn't start until early November.

2) Bobby Sherman sings that when he's alone, he imagines his "Little Woman" is right there beside him. Do you often daydream?

A. I am a consummate daydreamer and have been for as long as I can remember. I can spend a lot of time staring out the window lost in my own thoughts.

3) Bobby had a very bright smile. Do you ever use whiteners on your teeth?

A. I have on occasion. They help a little, but my pearly whites are not pearly. They are rather like a Grateful Dead song: they have a touch of gray to them.

4) He was beloved for his shiny hair. If we were to peek in your bathroom, how many haircare products would we find?

A. Two shampoos and one hair conditioner bottle in the shower. A comb and two hairbrushes on the bathroom vanity.

5) After high school, Bobby attended Pierce, a community college in the west San Fernando Valley. For culinary students, Pierce offers courses in canning -- specifically apples and peaches. If we were to peek into your pantry, would we find canned fruits?

A. Yes, you would. Mostly the mixed fruit kind, with cherries. Fruit cocktail, my grandmother called it.

6) As an actor, one of Bobby's earliest performances was on the TV show Honey West. That series revolved around a female "private eye" adept at martial arts. Do you have any self-defense moves (that don't involve a weapon)?

A. I took a self-defense class in the 1990s, and I learned to stomp on the person's foot, jab them with your elbow, kick them in the groin, and run like hell.

7) In 1966, Bobby did this rather energetic commercial for milk. Do you often enjoy a glass of milk?

A. I do not drink milk. I don't know if I am "allergic" per se, but it creates a lot of secretions in my lungs and adversely affects my asthma.

8) When his show business career waned, he became a paramedic. Have you ever called 911?

A. No. We live in the sticks and frankly it is faster to hustle somebody into the car and drive like a maniac into the city with them bleeding in the back seat. If one is thinking clearly, then it is best to call 911 and ask to have an ambulance meet you somewhere en route, if possible.

9) Random Question: Which book do you think you could learn more from -- The Joy of Sex or The Joy of Cooking?

A. The Joy of Cooking. I'm old, fat, and been married for 34 years. I can't cook still (though we aren't starving). I won't comment on the other.

_____________
I encourage you to visit other participants in
Saturday 9 posts and leave a comment. Because there are no rules, it is your choice. Saturday 9 players hate rules. We love memes, however.  (Celebrating my 200th Saturday 9 today.)


12 comments:

  1. Feeding hay 2 months early? That can't be good. I don't think we're officially in a drought, but we haven't had rain in several weeks...except for a wee bit last night that was just enough to tease us.

    I think I must be the only one with high-maintenance hair. There are probably 10 bottles of goo in the shower and another 4 or 5 in the cabinet for styling. I've always wished for "wash and go" hair.

    Isn't that the truth after 30+ years of marriage?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my hair had a bit more body but it doesn't, so there you go. The gray doesn't help.

      Delete
  2. Fruit cocktail! When I was little, I thought that was dessert! Thinking about that cherry on top still makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for an ambulance in the country would not be too wise unless of course, you were the injured one and all alone! Every time I daydream about us living in the country, I instantly am reminded of how far away the hospital would be. Being older, it's wiser for us to be in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we age, it is a concern. We are becoming more suburban but it still takes a long time for an ambulance to get here.

      Delete
  4. We're not quite in a drought here in Northern Maine, but the rivers are low and people are beginning to worry about wells. And it makes the leaves dull instead of the usual brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing we are going to have a beautiful fall, but I don't see how when all the leaves are simply dropping off the trees.

      Delete
  5. I'm pretty sure you stole that last answer from me as that fits me to a tee as well.
    It's been really dry here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After mother's accident left her hand crippled, she bought canned fruits, and fruit cocktail was high on our Kid's List of Favorite Desserts. I don't like it now but it certainly was good back then. Sometimes we even got whipped cream on top.
    It's reaaaaally dry out here in the West but that's not very note worthy. I am truly worried about all that heat and dryness back where most of you are.
    If it's a grave injury, I would call 911 and tell them they need to send a Helicopter. They do this all the time in Australia, but then the rest of the civilized world isn't as backward as we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately most insurance won't pay for a helicopter ride to the hospital. We had a big issue with that locally some time ago, because they do use helicopters, and they were billing people $20,000 a pop for a ride. After that some insurers did decide to cover the cost, but they have to review it first to see if it is warranted. As if life or death can be reduced to dollar bills.

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by! I appreciate comments and love to hear from others. I appreciate your time and responses.